Ipod headphone jack
Oct 23, 2007 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

xromanticistx

New Head-Fier
I have a 30gb (5th gen?) video ipod. Just tonight I started hearing scratching during higher notes.. and I would periodically lose sound on my right can. If I push down slightly on the headphone plug, or push it gently in a direction, the sound comes back to both speakers but I still hear scratching. I thought it was my jack adapter I use on my grados but I changed headphones and had the same problem.

Now my question: Is it more economical to get this repaired (if possible) or to just buy a new ipod? I have absolutely no idea what's involved in repairing this, nor would I know where to go to get it repaired =P. Thanks in advance =P.

P.S. This only recently happened when I started using my grados with the jack adapter. Do you think the grados could have been the culprit?

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 10
Mechanical disaster happens!!
frown.gif

Too bad for your headphone jack!
You can use a LOD(line-out dock) connected to a portable amp. Your sound quality and experience would improve over the headphone jack.

Portability is still there, because a portable amp is not very big. Headphone amps go from $40 to $350.You're choice!
rs1smile.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by xromanticistx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a 30gb (5th gen?) video ipod. Just tonight I started hearing scratching during higher notes.. and I would periodically lose sound on my right can. If I push down slightly on the headphone plug, or push it gently in a direction, the sound comes back to both speakers but I still hear scratching. I thought it was my jack adapter I use on my grados but I changed headphones and had the same problem.

Now my question: Is it more economical to get this repaired (if possible) or to just buy a new ipod? I have absolutely no idea what's involved in repairing this, nor would I know where to go to get it repaired =P. Thanks in advance =P.

P.S. This only recently happened when I started using my grados with the jack adapter. Do you think the grados could have been the culprit?

If it's just one big adapter (ie: no wire in between) then that adds a lot of stress/strain on the headphone jack itself.

So yes, it could have been it (especially if you had it in your pocket/backpack, etc.)

Oct 23, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 10
Well, you could buy a LOD+amp, or you could crack it open and try to resolder the headphone jack, which is probably the culprit. Or, you could sell it to someone like myself who fixes stuff and buy another one. Or you could send it off to someone to fix it. It's out of warranty I assume?

Oct 24, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 10
I recently talked to a friend who told me about how this happened to him. I here it happens from rapping your headphone cable around the ipod, or that is atleast one of the ways it happens. I have done that for a year and a half, and it hasn't damaged my headphone jack, but have recently stopped because I didn't know that before. Good luck with the jack problem. Oh yeh, and don't waist your time taking it into apple to have them look at it unless you have a warrenty because they told my friend he would have to buy a new ipod, and they had no clue how to fix it, so take it somewhere else if you seek getting it fixed I think.

Oct 24, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 10
Hm, the adapter did not have a wire in between.. that sounds like what caused it.

I've been debating between buying a headphone amp or not, and it seems I will be =P.

What is this line-out dock? What does it look like? How does it function in relation to the headphone amp? =P

Thanks for speedy replies =)

Oct 25, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #7 of 10
The connector at the bottom of your iPod has several in/outputs. One of these is a "line out". It is the audio signal output before going thru the final amp/volume control/headphone jack. Avoiding this final stage provides a much cleaner signal. But the signal is "line" voltage level so an external amp is needed for volume control and amplification.

The line out dock looks much like the cord used to sync and charge the iPod but shorter and with a mini plug instead of a usb connector at the other end (and some look like they have been on steriods). Docks run from about $30 UP.

Check out this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=262461
and use the search feature for more than you may want to know.
icon10.gif

Oct 25, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 10
I've had the same problem with my nano but the nano itself is fine, My headphone jacks seem to slowly lose the left channel if I continually apply pressure to the plug, it seems to wear away the gold plating on the left channel ring on the plug. Dunno if that helped in any way, shape or form.

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:02 PM Post #10 of 10
I think you should be able to open up the iPod and replace the headphone jack. I'm too lazy to search right now but I think you can find the part online.

If not, the line-out option via a dock & amp is a good option. A little expensive though if you don't already have the components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back