Ipod HD is failing... repair or upgrade?
Jul 18, 2006 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

BavariaBarbarian

100+ Head-Fier
Doh, I posted this in the wrong forum! Should of course be portable audio.
- Thanks for moving!

The HDD on my trusty old 40GB 4G greyscale Ipod seems to be failing.
You know the symptoms, HDD spinning up, then clicking followed by spindown. Repeat ad nauseam.
mad.gif

A hard reset has brought the ipod back to working and I even low-level formatted it. But it has happened thrice in the last two weeks and I'm getting random glitches when transferring files.

So... what to do? Options:

a) Give the Ipod a whole makeover. I could buy a new replacement HDD and while I'm at it I'd also change the battery to a higher capacity one. That should take care of all the wear and tear parts for the next few years. Estimated cost: ~150-160€ for 60GB HDD. Knock off 20 for 40GB HDD.

b) Take the Ipod apart and sell it for spare parts on eBay. Together with the dock and brand new Contour showcase that should pull about 100€. Add the above 160€ and that almost gets me a new 30GB Video.
- Tempting. But 30GB will be brimful with my music collection not counting audiobooks and I planned on modding the old 4G to capless output since the Ipod is my main source. I certainly can't do that to a 5G.
wink.gif

Please help me to recklessly overspend my money!
wink.gif

P.S.: Just noticed a strange thing: If I put the Ipod into diagnostic mode and run a HDD scan it either doesn't run at all (zzzzz...click, zzzzz...click) or checks out fine...
blink.gif

Jul 18, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by BavariaBarbarian
You know the symptoms, HDD spinning up, then clicking followed by spindown. Repeat ad nauseam.
mad.gif

A hard reset has brought the ipod back to working and I even low-level formatted it. But it has happened thrice in the last two weeks and I'm getting random glitches when transferring files.

a) Give the Ipod a whole makeover. I could buy a new replacement HDD and while I'm at it I'd also change the battery to a higher capacity one. That should take care of all the wear and tear parts for the next few years. Estimated cost: ~150-160€ for 60GB HDD. Knock off 20 for 40GB HDD.

b) Take the Ipod apart and sell it for spare parts on eBay. Together with the dock and brand new Contour showcase that should pull about 100€. Add the above 160€ and that almost gets me a new 30GB Video.
- Tempting. But 30GB will be brimful with my music collection not counting audiobooks and I planned on modding the old 4G to capless output since the Ipod is my main source. I certainly can't do that to a 5G.
wink.gif

wink.gif

P.S.: Just noticed a strange thing: If I put the Ipod into diagnostic mode and run a HDD scan it either doesn't run at all (zzzzz...click, zzzzz...click) or checks out fine...
blink.gif

I prefer option (a) if it is indeed less expensive than (b). You should be able to do much of the replacement yourself. BTW, I'm not sure if you can upgrade your hard drive capacity to a 60gb one just by popping it in. That might require a bit of research with regards to size and compatibility issues.

Also, upgraded battery is pretty good. I've upgraded my 3rd gen ipod battery to a 850mah one and it gives me a good 2 hrs extra compared to the stock battery. They might have higher capacity batteries available now...

Jul 18, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for the input!

I've already researched the HD compatibility, the MK6006GAH will fit all the "thicker" 4G ipods, e.g. greyscale 40GB and Photo 40GB and 60GB. Plus it is actually easier to source than the 40GB models (4004GAH/406GAH).

BTW any idea what I should do about posting in the wrong section?

Jul 18, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Thanks for the input!

I've already researched the HD compatibility, the MK6006GAH will fit all the "thicker" 4G ipods, e.g. greyscale 40GB and Photo 40GB and 60GB. Plus it is actually easier to source than the 40GB models (4004GAH/406GAH).

BTW any idea what I should do about posting in the wrong section?

PM a moderator to have it moved.

Jul 19, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Doh, I posted this in the wrong forum! Should of course be portable audio.
How embarassing, can a mod please move or delete this? Sorry!

mad.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

blink.gif

I don't know you guys just don't experiment enough.

If you take your marvelous piece of super human technology (They are really!) and simply stick it face up in the freezer so that the back is flat on the freezer surface for about 30secs to 1min ( be careful you don't want iPod ice cream or there goes your lolly (ha ha!) ) You will have a lovely fresh clean virus free HD in diagnostics mode and it will work just fine for absolutely nout.

Mine had exactly the same symptoms about a month and a half ago, works just like new now.

I must admit when I discovered this I was top chuffed.

Mind you saying that I'm listening to it now and it just stuttered, oops spoke too soon, I'm sure its perfectly fine.

A tiny amount of some virus's always remain in the HD so you might never really get rid.

Jul 19, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 16
Try taking it all apart and then put it back together. It could be a bad connection somewhere.
If you replace the memory card, replace the blue padding with thermal pads. Heat accelerates the breakdown of the memory chips and especially the capacitors. Also try to limit the writing and let it have a break every once in a while when copying lots of files. Writing stresses the oxide layer in the chips and causes the power supply to heat up.

Jul 19, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoi_rootbeer
hrmm...repair and get it iModded? that's what I'd say.

Yes of course, good call!
But I considered it early on and for several reasons, the iMod is not for me.

As for taking it apart and putting back together - has been done twice already.

Jul 19, 2006 at 1:27 PM Post #9 of 16
Have you tried tapping parts with the handle of a screwdriver to try to find bad connections? It might be a solder joint somewhere. Have you also checked for bad capacitors?
Have you wrote to it a lot, on purpose or otherwise? The oxide layer might have started breaking down if that's the case.

Jul 19, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #10 of 16
Since there are no known viruses for any Ipod OS, I think I'll pass on the freezer option, thanks.
wink.gif

Star882, you have a good point there! Due to the symptoms (clicking) I just assumed the problem was the HDD. But I haven't actually isolated the problem.
The connections and "cables" are sound, but I won't go over all the solder points on the logic board...
blink.gif

Luckily though, I have another logic board in store (long story, don't ask) and I just swapped it in.
I doubt it'll work any better now, but let's see.

Quote:

Originally Posted by star882
If you replace the memory card, replace the blue padding with thermal pads. Heat accelerates the breakdown of the memory chips and especially the capacitors. Also try to limit the writing and let it have a break every once in a while when copying lots of files. Writing stresses the oxide layer in the chips and causes the power supply to heat up.

What memory card are you talking about?
Also: No, I didn't write excessively onto the Ipod, just regularly synching my music (maybe 100MB - 500MB every other week).

Jul 20, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 16
i would strongly suggest you to get a new ipod, warranty is really important in expensive electronics, you have just replaced the HDD who knows whats going to fail next?

on the other hand i know space is really important, how about buy a similar 40gb product thats not ipod? could be alot cheaper as well.

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #13 of 16
Hmm... For testing purposes I resynched my whole library, not a single glitch so far.
confused.gif

Yes, a new device covered by warranty has it's appeal - don't fret, just send it in for repair. But a warranty runs out eventually while I guess that spare parts will only get cheaper...

Jul 20, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #14 of 16
I resurrected an ipod by getting the latest version of ipod updater and doing a complete restore and it's working fine.....so far. Hadn't tried the freezer bit but heck, if it happens again, I'll not hesitate.

Btw, if you can find a good deal on a HD and want to give it a shot, replacing the HD isn't that big a deal. Just go slow getting into the device and USE PLASTIC INSTRUMENTS!

Heck, you got nothing to lose. If the choice is to return for repair or get a new one, I'd vote for the new one. Sell the defective unit(being upfront about its status of course) for folks who like to play or for spare parts. Don't forget that the ipod battery starts it's downward spiral the minute it leaves the manufacturing line so that's another possible fly in the ointment. New ipod and extend that warranty for peace of mind. That would be my path if I didn't want to hack the player. Good luck.

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Since there are no known viruses for any Ipod OS, I think I'll pass on the freezer option, thanks.
wink.gif

Star882, you have a good point there! Due to the symptoms (clicking) I just assumed the problem was the HDD. But I haven't actually isolated the problem.
The connections and "cables" are sound, but I won't go over all the solder points on the logic board...
blink.gif

Luckily though, I have another logic board in store (long story, don't ask) and I just swapped it in.
I doubt it'll work any better now, but let's see.

What memory card are you talking about?
Also: No, I didn't write excessively onto the Ipod, just regularly synching my music (maybe 100MB - 500MB every other week).

Its not the OS that gets the virus its the tunes and they clog the OS and you end up with a mangle of cached and shadowed memory of the virus'd tunes in the HD. It may not sound very tech but hey neither's the freezer. All it takes is one downloaded tune and that's the crack. Its better to buy than fry. The virus in my iPOD has now finished it's incubation period in my Laptop and has gone full blown ape. I'd stick that HD in the freezer if I'd backed up the files.. I will however take great pleasure in squashing them bugs !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back