Ipod has died, looking for a replacement!(Sony NW-A3000)
Dec 28, 2005 at 7:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gjkendall

New Head-Fier
This is my first post here...so hello!

My 2 month old Ipod has died...I need to reboot it everytime I want to listen to something and I can hear load clicks coming from the unit everytime I use it!

The shop I bought my 20gig Ipod fromhas agreed there is a problem, but they had nothing in stock, that I could swap it for, due to selling out for Christmas!

I am not going back to Ipod...I have lost confidence in Ipod, especially with the tales I have read about potetial problems and with my unot going belly up after only two months use!

At the moment the unit that is winning the race to be my Ipods replacement is...Sony NW-A3000...I am loving the look of this unit and by all accounts it sounds the business as well!

I am not too fussed with "extras", all I want is a fairly easy to use system with good sound quality!

Is the Sony NW-A3000 a good unit?

Dec 28, 2005 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 12
i have heard bad things about sony's software, but the player itself seems nice.

did they tell you when they would have replacements in stock? i don't see how that should be too much of a deterrent. i would especially not care for the hit to the wallet (even if you do sell the replacement ipod). you could instead try subbmitting online http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod/ . what other problems have you heard about?

Dec 28, 2005 at 8:46 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the reply...My broken Ipod is still under warrenty...so I can just swap it for a new mp3 player....

The Sony is actually cheaper than my broken ipod so I will be getting some lovely cash back as well!

Dec 28, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 12
gjkendall,

I can empathize with your anger towards Apple for the short life of your battery. As an owner of 4 iPods, I think you really just got a bum bettery (I've replaced my batteries on 2 iPods, and received bum batteries from 3rd pary vendors, so it's common). With a new battery, things should get better. I don't mean to trivialize your predicament, but if you look at how many iPods have been sold, the likelihood of complaints such as yours is still relatively low.

Dec 28, 2005 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 12
every company is going to have defective units, and when a company puts out as many products as apple, the occurence of defective units is going to numerically higher than other companies.

it is the luck of the draw when you may get one. chances are you will not get burned twice, and if you liked the ipod for the features it had, it really wouldnt be a bad idea to just get a replacement when they become available instead of spending the money on another unit just yet.

Dec 28, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #7 of 12
All style no substance

Fair enough Sony Music wanna protect their assets. But does the DRM really need to be soooo restrictive? And you'd have thought someone at Sony could programme a simple music managing software that doesn't rape your system resources

Dec 28, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL
All style no substance

Fair enough Sony Music wanna protect their assets. But does the DRM really need to be soooo restrictive? And you'd have thought someone at Sony could programme a simple music managing software that doesn't rape your system resources

Disagree ... with SS 3.3 (and maybe 3.2), you could check to make it less restrictive. Sony is slowly learning.

And SOny isn't the first company to make SW people don't like. Sonic Stage 3.3 may not be intuitive for some, but it's stable and works just fine. It's really not bad. I have never used the new one since my player isn't supported by it, but it's v1.

Dec 28, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191
I'm not convinced that a Sony NW-A3000 would be less grief to be honest.

Since he wants an easy to use player with good SQ, this seems to be the best choice (well the player itself is easy to use, the speed of the software is frustrating sometimes).

Dec 29, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bijl
Since he wants an easy to use player with good SQ, this seems to be the best choice (well the player itself is easy to use, the speed of the software is frustrating sometimes).

I'd say creative players are easier to use and have just as good if not better SQ. Perhaps not as robust, but then they have a good warranty and rma rep.

Dec 29, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 12
The A3000, along with Connect Player, is NOT easy to use. With SonicStage 3.3, it's not bad, but you lose out on some of the newer player's features-- the Artist Link, Smart Shuffle, Smart Playlists, etc. What you could (and what I would recommend doing) is to get the A3000 and use SS3.3 with it for now, disabling some of the A3000's features, then, when a decent version of Connect is out, switch to that.

Although, if you really want something easy-to-use, get an iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back