iPod / Graham Slee Solo headphone amp as my main system...couple of questions...
May 26, 2006 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Rob Goodison

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm after a little advice and opinion...

I've just bought a pair of AKG K 701 'phones...and have been very surprised with their performance connected to my 5G 60GB iPod (even with iTMS bought tracks.)

So much so...that I think I may abandon my plans of buying a separate CDP, and I will re-rip all my CDs in Apple Lossless format, and use the iPod as my source player.

I'm going to order a Graham Slee Solo MC Headphone AMP with PSU1 and plan to connect the iPod, docked in an Apple Universal Dock, via a Chord iChord interconnect.

Are there any better docks (sound quality wise) available than the official Apple Universal Dock? I want the iPod to be vertically orientated, so a dock that offers upright support is a must, really.

And finally...I have a spare 4G 60GB iPod Photo that I use for backup purposes. I've seen numerous posts praising the Redwineaudio iMod...has anyone for the UK sent their iPods off for the mod, and if so, do you consider it worthwhile?

Many thanks for your time,

Rob.

May 26, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 7
Believe it or not, here's my recommendation -

Ipod with Radio Remote docked.

Get a tiny picture frame holder.

Prop the ipod up on it. You're vertical!

Mini to RCA interconnect from the radio remote to the Solo (AWESOME AMP btw)

You're done! And grab a Grado as a great change of pace to the K701! My Solo even drove the K1000 so you shouldn't have a problem with the K701.

this is to give you an idea of the picture frame holder. nm the ipod and the old school remote of course!

IMG_00391.jpg

May 27, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 7
As much as the 5G ipXd is ok sounding i would suggest still investing on a better source for your audio files. Maybe a good soundcard for your PC as you obviously must back up your audio files on your PC....

May 27, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks Jahn,

That's a very good alternative - only problem is the lack of iPod charging, but as I'm unlikely to have a 15 hour listening session, that may not be insurmountable.

I have the iPod Radio Remote, so may try it as an option, depending on how close I end up sitting to the system once I change my room around.

Regarding the Solo amp, I have heard nothing but praise for it, and am looking forward to hearing it for myself sometime next week...hopefully I should have finished re-ripping my collection by then...

As for the Grados...I'm more than happy with the 701s. I just want a single pair of headphones to cover all my music bases...well, I say that now, but I'm sure most people frequenting Head-Fi have that ideal at the start too
biggrin.gif

May 27, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by caramelsoul
As much as the 5G ipXd is ok sounding i would suggest still investing on a better source for your audio files. Maybe a good soundcard for your PC as you obviously must back up your audio files on your PC....

iMac G5 and Powerbook G4 owner, so a soundcard isn't really an option, unless I can source an external USB unit...which I'm not that keen on, to tell the truth.

The Solo amp has 2 inputs, so having a CDP as a source at a later date is an option, but for now, I'm going for the convenience of the iPod...

May 27, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Goodison
iMac G5 and Powerbook G4 owner, so a soundcard isn't really an option, unless I can source an external USB unit...which I'm not that keen on, to tell the truth.

Doesn't the powerbook have an optical SPDIF? If so, you are all set, get a Headroom Micro DAC, use the optical input and you are set with a excellent source, noticeably better than the iPod (and I think the iPod is a pretty good source)

May 29, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 7
I have the Solo... just waiting for a "Sendstation" attachment for my ipod, so i can use the line out to my solo amp.
I'm going to buy interconnects from Mark Grant (avforums, and has his own UK site). He does a nice white ipod cable (line out jack, to RCA).

Where are you in the UK?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back