iPod (G5) Refurbs are Cheap
Aug 30, 2006 at 12:09 PM Post #31 of 60
I received my refurbished 30GB iPod 5G (Black) and it's impossible to tell it from a new one cosmetically. Really, the only difference seems to be that it came with literally no box at all. Just the iPod with its protective cover film inside the shipping box w/foam stuffing. There was a set of earbuds, a USB, a software CD and a "Quick Start" booklet in there with it but that's it for packaging.

Works fine, sounds great. Lots and lots of storage space. I think it does a little better than my iPod Mini driving an HD595 directly on material with a strong bass line. But with the Portaphile/HD595 combo or directly driving my usual portable PX200 headphone it sounds exactly like a Mini. It plays videos but on a 2.5" screen with my 46-year-old eyes it is pretty much useless (as expected). Looks cool in black, of course.

Great deal.

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:43 PM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
IF YOU ARE USING THE iPOD FOR MUSIC ONLY - A 4th generation refurbished iPod (60gb $279.00 ($20.00 cheaper than the 5th generation) may be a better deal.

The 4th generation has a reputation of sounding better than the 5th generation iPod. The battery life is lower and it weighs a bit more, but the overall quality of the 4th generation seems to be better.

I have owned a 4th generation iPod for some two years. I put a fitted rubber case on the iPod and have abused the hell out of it. I can't tell you the number of times I have dropped it and it remains in my car both Summer and Winter.

If you purchased a 5th generation iPod, do yourself a BIG favor and buy a rigid case (hard plastic or metel) for your iPod.

Hmmm, I've been under the impression that the 5G's headpone output is of higher quality than the 4G's so if you're planning on not using an amp a 5G is better or if you are using an amp or plan on an iMod then go with a 4G?

Aug 30, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
IF YOU ARE USING THE iPOD FOR MUSIC ONLY - A 4th generation refurbished iPod (60gb $279.00 ($20.00 cheaper than the 5th generation) may be a better deal.

The 4th generation has a reputation of sounding better than the 5th generation iPod. The battery life is lower and it weighs a bit more, but the overall quality of the 4th generation seems to be better.

I have owned a 4th generation iPod for some two years. I put a fitted rubber case on the iPod and have abused the hell out of it. I can't tell you the number of times I have dropped it and it remains in my car both Summer and Winter.

If you purchased a 5th generation iPod, do yourself a BIG favor and buy a rigid case (hard plastic or metel) for your iPod.

Sir; I think you are crazy. Do you know how much smaller the 5g is than the 4g 60gb? That thing was like a brick. For 20$ they're probably both sonically the same using the lineout and you get all the benefits of a newer version.

Aug 30, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #34 of 60
My take is that if you want the 60GB capacity, with the refurb 4G you get an included AC charger and it's 20 bucks cheaper. So a pretty good tradeoff in return for the greater size and weight.

In my case, even 30GB is way overkill and there's no 4G refurb available cheaper than the $199 cost of my 5G. I must say after carrying it around a little this morning that is one slim little devil. What a cutie.

The aluminum-cased iPod Mini is still the best external design of an iPod ever, though. Mine's silver and absolutely pristine (except for one almost microscopic nick on a corner of the screen) after two years of moderate use.

Aug 30, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #36 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Hmmm, I've been under the impression that the 5G's headpone output is of higher quality than the 4G's so if you're planning on not using an amp a 5G is better or if you are using an amp or plan on an iMod then go with a 4G?

That's what I was thinking.

Aug 30, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Hutto
I know this is just speculation but the price on the 30GB iPod refurbs seems very good by historical standards of Apple refurb pricing. Do you think it's because:

a) they just have a metric buttload of returned ones to get rid of or
b) they don't advertise the refurb deal very widely so it goes unnoticed by the majority of people or
c) people are willing to pay 100 bucks just to know that theirs is brand spanking new

Same goes for the 60GB one, too. The 100 bucks is only 1/4 of the list price intead of 1/3 but still 100 bucks will buy a lot of other stuff...

Another possible contributing reason: New model out soon

Aug 30, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #38 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1Turbo
Another possible contributing reason: New model out soon

Soon is a relative term. Looks like they won't make the holiday season with the new full video iPod. But I'm sure they've got lots of pieces/parts to assemble a bunch of these and make a few more bucks.

It's absolutely a win-win as far as I'm concerned. You get a player that works, looks new, and has the warranty. If you've ever had to take advantage of the iPod warranty you'd know what that means: take it to an Apple store, they give you a new one. Ownership is that worry-free, so what diff does it make if it's a refurb or not?

I sold my 60GB 5G iPod for a few bucks, but now will get a 30GB refurb 'cause I miss it
redface.gif
. You guys continue to cost me money.

Aug 31, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #43 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by retic3nt
So does the battery have to be completely dead before they will honor the warranty?

Dude, read my link, battery is not covered

Aug 31, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #45 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome G
Dude, read my link, battery is not covered

Your link states that "The warrenty does not apply to consumable parts, such as batteries, unless damage has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship"

If I am to understand this correctly... the batteries are covered under warrianty if they fail due to manufacturer defect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back