iPod (G5) Refurbs are Cheap
Aug 19, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #17 of 60
Great my local apple store has black 60GB refurbs in stock. Going to get one tomorrow.

Aug 19, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #18 of 60
Hey, you can get the AppleCare extended protection with 'em as well. Not a bad deal.
eek.gif

Aug 19, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #19 of 60
so apple does not replace batteries in the refurbs before selling them? who knows how long those refurbs have been sitting on the shelf since they were returned... factor in a new battery price in a couple of months.

Aug 19, 2006 at 11:10 AM Post #20 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csidinim
so apple does not replace batteries in the refurbs before selling them? who knows how long those refurbs have been sitting on the shelf since they were returned... factor in a new battery price in a couple of months.

I don't know if they replace the batteries as part of refurbishment or not. Aren't battery failures covered under the iPod warranty? I see no explicit exclusion of batteries in the warranty terms and conditions. So it sounds more like you might want to allow for a new battery some time after the one year warranty period ends.

Aug 19, 2006 at 11:56 AM Post #21 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent Hutto
I don't know if they replace the batteries as part of refurbishment or not. Aren't battery failures covered under the iPod warranty? I see no explicit exclusion of batteries in the warranty terms and conditions. So it sounds more like you might want to allow for a new battery some time after the one year warranty period ends.

I believe, based on the information on the site, that if there are any manufacturer defects within a year after your purchase they are covered. You also have the option of buying the extended AppleCare protection plan.....

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #22 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csidinim

From what I've read refurbs get a new battery as well as the case and accessories. This deal has been active since August 7. Im suprised it took this long for news to reach headfi.

I got my 30gb refurb earlier this week and it looks at operates like new. The only way these refurbs look different then new is the brown box it comes in.

Aug 19, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #23 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by traficante
From what I've read refurbs get a new battery as well as the case and accessories. This deal has been active since August 7. Im suprised it took this long for news to reach headfi.

I got my 30gb refurb earlier this week and it looks at operates like new. The only way these refurbs look different then new is the brown box it comes in.

I've had a couple of refurbed iPod Mini's from Apple. One was as new, the other had a small mark on the case.

Both work fine, though, and were seriously cheap. (c.£60 each).

Aug 19, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #24 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woosh
is this offer avaliable to international buyers? looks kinda tempting even though i already have a 60gb video.

It is available in the UK too.

Aug 19, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #25 of 60
I am going to my apple store today to pick one up. How do I ensure I get one that has little scratching and is in good condition. I remember something about stickers or something?

Aug 19, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #26 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by benton
I am going to my apple store today to pick one up. How do I ensure I get one that has little scratching and is in good condition. I remember something about stickers or something?

Non of the 5G should have any scratches. Everyone I've read who has purchased one of these refurbs including myself has recieved units that have replaced cases. They replaced them in part because refurbs get a new SN# that are etched on the back. If you purchase from a third party refurbisher or a different ipod model some of this may differ.

Now if you purchase a customer return from an apple store those will most likely have scratches on it so be sure its a certified reconditioned unit.

Aug 19, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #27 of 60
I know this is just speculation but the price on the 30GB iPod refurbs seems very good by historical standards of Apple refurb pricing. Do you think it's because:

a) they just have a metric buttload of returned ones to get rid of or
b) they don't advertise the refurb deal very widely so it goes unnoticed by the majority of people or
c) people are willing to pay 100 bucks just to know that theirs is brand spanking new

Same goes for the 60GB one, too. The 100 bucks is only 1/4 of the list price intead of 1/3 but still 100 bucks will buy a lot of other stuff...

Aug 29, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #28 of 60
If you buy directly from Apple, are the cases(both front and back) on the Nano's replaced as well? For some reason, it seems the Nano's scratch up more than any other model to date (so I've read).

Aug 29, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #29 of 60
I know for a fact that you can get this in Canada too. Same thing. 230$ CND for a 30gb, 345$ for a 60gb and 200$ for a 4gb nano. I've read that they all look brand new as they replace all the casings.

Aug 30, 2006 at 11:29 AM Post #30 of 60
IF YOU ARE USING THE iPOD FOR MUSIC ONLY - A 4th generation refurbished iPod (60gb $279.00 ($20.00 cheaper than the 5th generation) may be a better deal.

The 4th generation has a reputation of sounding better than the 5th generation iPod. The battery life is lower and it weighs a bit more, but the overall quality of the 4th generation seems to be better.

I have owned a 4th generation iPod for some two years. I put a fitted rubber case on the iPod and have abused the hell out of it. I can't tell you the number of times I have dropped it and it remains in my car both Summer and Winter.

If you purchased a 5th generation iPod, do yourself a BIG favor and buy a rigid case (hard plastic or metel) for your iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back