iPod for Outdoor Running
Sep 6, 2004 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zyx345

New Head-Fier
I am considering picking up an iPod as I am a runner & often max out the songs on my CDs during a run. I will also use it on my morning commute.

Can the iPod handle running outdoors without skipping? i.e. shock from running, sweat

Sep 6, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by zyx345
I am considering picking up an iPod as I am a runner & often max out the songs on my CDs during a run. I will also use it on my morning commute.

Can the iPod handle running outdoors without skipping? i.e. shock from running, sweat

Jogging a hard drive while it is trying to read off of the plates can result in damage, but I do believe people here have jogged with it. I dont think it would be too recommended though. Maybe a 256 or 512mb flash player?

Sep 6, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 7
It's generally thought best to not run with a large sized HDD player.
You risk having it break every time you run with it.

Smaller HDD players, like the iPod mini and Nitrus tend to take such rigorous movements much better, and are much less prone to jamming indefinately. Flash players are probably the best for heavy movement.

I'm pretty sure having a harddrive crash with no possiblity to fix without replacement is not a very welcoming prospect for you, is it?

Sep 6, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 7
i've had a 3G ipod for about a year now and i jog with it regularly with no problems whatsoever. The only caveat is that you purchase the marware sportsuit with the armband which virtually eliminates the vibrations which cause skipping. When i used to run with my 3G clipped to the inside of my shorts it would skip every once in a while, but now that i use the armband i don't think it has skipped once in my 6+ months of running almost every day.

Sep 6, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 7
It's still probably taking some damage and will break sooner or later. I would never recommend runnign with an hd player.

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:16 PM Post #6 of 7
I run with my 3G 40gb ipod several times a week. I tried using the Incase belt pack, but it would start skipping or lock up after 20 minutes. I switched to a Teski Roadie Arm pack and have had no problems whatsoever. No skipping even after almost an hour. The Teski Roadie was on sale when I bought mine, a pretty good deal imo.

Sep 9, 2004 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 7
Not as vigorous as jogging but my I-pod has riden some 5,000 km with my bike and I and had no problems. Some of this has been over pretty rough roads. I don't use an armband or anything just throw it in my back shirt pocket... super reliable.

Jogging however, your mileage may vary...

TonyAAA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back