iPod Event 9/1/10 Confirmed
Sep 2, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #106 of 128

Quote:
Disappointed at no 3G, but I'll still take a Touch. Just got to decide on capacity. I'm thinking we'll certainly see a 128GB next year and possibly higher than that in 2013 according to the story about HP/Hynix developing memristors that should be available that year.

It seems that apple decides that you should not want large capacity and that 64GB is enough for you. Otherwise they'd increased memory size in this lineup from the previous one.

Sep 2, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #107 of 128

Quote:
It seems that apple decides that you should not want large capacity and that 64GB is enough for you. Otherwise they'd increased memory size in this lineup from the previous one.

Not necessarily. The current flash is in a stagnant phase and has been for the last year or so. The physical size of the chips beyond 64GB may be too much to fit on a board or in the casing of an iPod Touch. Remember the iPhone 4 only goes to 32GB, but has additional components taking up space. I think we'll see 128GB next year with slight increases in current flash, but the memristor will change everything if it is as they say.

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #108 of 128

Quote:
Not necessarily. The current flash is in a stagnant phase and has been for the last year or so. The physical size of the chips beyond 64GB may be too much to fit on a board or in the casing of an iPod Touch. Remember the iPhone 4 only goes to 32GB, but has additional components taking up space. I think we'll see 128GB next year with slight increases in current flash, but the memristor will change everything if it is as they say.

It might be in a relatively stagnant phase with pricing, but manufacturing process improves (they're making flash memory now on a ~20nm process), and the capacity in the same package increases.
Sony did manage to put 64GB in their NW-A847, which is a lot smaller than ipod touch.

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #111 of 128
She's hooked on the fact that's it's great for the gym; she also seems to prefer the itunes interface.  In a tragedy at school her previous 2nd gen was stolen.  It seems that before today that the 2nd gens were running an insane premium because the 3rd gen sucked so bad.  I saw these today and my jaw dropped not only because they brought the buttons back but also as I had just gotten the Sansa Clip Monday :frowning2:

What X model?

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #112 of 128
Sep 2, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #113 of 128
She prefers it to pretty much everything, the Zune interface (which I also abhor despite owning a zune)
and simply dragging and dropping.  I like the look of the X series, never had the chance to hear it myself though!

Quote:

To prefer it over what? Over other similar interfaces (Zune, SonicStage etc), or over MTP/MSC (plug&drag&drop)?

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665869102

Sep 2, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #114 of 128

Quote:

As someone said in the New iPod Family thread, there are 256GB 1.8" drives that could conceivably fit in an iPod, but they'e $700! I'm sure Apple will increase capacity once it becomes economical to do so, which I guess means the actual price of the SSD not resulting in a massive hike compared to previous models, and the ability to purchase them in massive bulks. It's not like any other companies are showing off non-HDD DAPs with a lot of capacity, IIRC the biggest I've seen was the Sony 64GB one, but that was only available in Japan(?). I suspect the Classic will get the chop once a 128GB Touch appears.

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #116 of 128
Apple seems to be taking *backward* steps in terms of portable music. All flash, zing, style - no major overhaul for music lovers.

Seriously, why does no one release a PMP in dimensions of the old iPod Nano with a 64 gb memory with a microSD slot for expansion? Surely there must be a market for this!

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #117 of 128

Quote:
Apple seems to be taking *backward* steps in terms of portable music. All flash, zing, style - no major overhaul for music lovers.

Seriously, why does no one release a PMP in dimensions of the old iPod Nano with a 64 gb memory with a microSD slot for expansion? Surely there must be a market for this!

I agree. They did a good thing by giving the Shuffle back its buttons but limiting it to only 2GB of space seems a bit off. The Nano...eh. I can't imagine browsing through 64GB of music on such a small device, especially if it was augmented with up to 32GB of additional storage via a microSD card. It's hard enough browsing through 40GB or so of music on my old iPod Video.
tongue.gif

The iPod Touch, on the other hand was an incremental step forward. Updating its innards to include the A4 chip, dual cameras and the retina display was a great step forward for the device but I would've liked to see the same 5MP sensor that the iPhone 4 has (or at least the shooter that's on the 3GS) and a bump up in memory for the price (64GB for $299 and 128GB for $399). Perhaps I'm asking for a bit much but, hey, a man can dream can't he?

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #118 of 128

Quote:

As someone said in the New iPod Family thread, there are 256GB 1.8" drives that could conceivably fit in an iPod, but they'e $700! I'm sure Apple will increase capacity once it becomes economical to do so, which I guess means the actual price of the SSD not resulting in a massive hike compared to previous models, and the ability to purchase them in massive bulks. It's not like any other companies are showing off non-HDD DAPs with a lot of capacity, IIRC the biggest I've seen was the Sony 64GB one, but that was only available in Japan(?). I suspect the Classic will get the chop once a 128GB Touch appears.

256GB SSD for ipod costs $700 just because ZIF connector is uncommon standart, demand for SSDs with ZIF connector is low (when compared with SATA), and there are only one manufacturer making these. It doesn't say anything about the memory price.
256GB 1.8" SSD with MicroSATA interface can be easily purchased for about $400. Ipod Touch uses bare memory chips, not SSD with ZIF/MicroSATA interface, so that 256GB in touch should cost even less... but it seems that Jobs says that you should not want such capacities.
Sony 64GB is competitor not to touch but to old nano, it is similar in dimensions with nano. And it was released in November 2009. And the price was about $350 then and about $250 now.

Sep 2, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #119 of 128
 not many people really need bigger hard drive than say 64 or maybe 128 gb, especially if your files are in 128~256 bit rate decoding. already there's talk about streaming technologies for music and video where you will be able to access your personal computer files or music/video services by just streaming, with hardly any need to carry the files on your portable device. 

Sep 2, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #120 of 128

Quote:
Sony 64GB is competitor not to touch but to old nano, it is similar in dimensions with nano. And it was released in November 2009. And the price was about $350 then and about $250 now.

I actually hope that they release the 64gb version soon. They did release that model outside but the stupid folks limited the capacity to 16gb. *face palm*

As for capacity, I am a firm believer in the saying "The expenditure rises to meet the income earned and not the other way around.", or in other words - if the products have large capacities, we will find ways to use that capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back