iPod essentials?
Jul 17, 2005 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

heeeraldo

100+ Head-Fier
So, I should be getting my free iPod soon (yeah, it worked for me, and that's all I'm going to say about it.) and I'm wondering what you fine people think is essential to have along with it.

I've already got Eggos and plans to upgrade to Shure E-somethings (probably 4s, in charcoal), and I've got a case (but I don't like the colour; see link in sig for info) but I'm wondering if there's anything else I'll need.

I'm going into my fourth year (of five) in a Psychology/Political Science double major, which means lots of long lectures. I commute to school, and it's about 3 hours total each day on buses and the Skytrain (sort of like an above-ground subway, if that makes any sense), and I can't think of anything else that might impact the situation.

thanks in advance!

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 18
If getting scratches on your iPod is going to bother you, then get a case. I chose the Contour Showcase -- great protection and looks... simply the best case IMO. It's a hard case and has cut-outs to allow access to all the jacks and click wheel. The case also has a removable belt attachment.

If you want to improve the sound, then grab a lineout (Sik Din, PocketDock) and buy a headphone amp -- whatever you can afford... $35 and up. Peruse the amp forum for suggestions.

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 18
Congrats on the iPod win and living in such a great city
smily_headphones1.gif

Line Out Devices:
Sik Din
Pocketdock (check case clearance)

FM Transmitter (playing in a car or on radio)
iTrip

Speaker System
OnStage

Jul 17, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63
If getting scratches on your iPod is going to bother you, then get a case. I chose the Contour Showcase -- great protection and looks... simply the best case IMO. It's a hard case and has cut-outs to allow access to all the jacks and click wheel. The case also has a removable belt attachment.

If you want to improve the sound, then grab a lineout (Sik Din, PocketDock) and buy a headphone amp -- whatever you can afford... $35 and up. Peruse the amp forum for suggestions.

Hmm ... your sig says that you're using a PocketDock, but with my 60GB iPod Photo and my Contour Showcase, the PocketDock didn't fit. Neither did the iTrip, of course ... Which is why I quickly ditched the Showcase in favor of the Agent18 Photoshield. Anyway, did you have to modify your Showcase to get it to work with the PocketDock?

Jul 17, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 18
Hmmm, "essential" in this place is highly dependent on how much money you are willing to throw at it. Just the other day I started using my HQ mobile rig again (I tenderly call it my Soundpäckchen, more to it later) as I now face a 60 minutes ride more often for personal reasons
wink.gif
and I wondered how I could ever stray away from it for so long. I tried to numb my senses for weeks using cheap earbuds to no avail. Portable bliss exists, as I noticed waiting for a train in a subwaystation deep in the guts of this city, listening to Tallis' Salvator Mundi from Linn Selections: The Super Audio Sourround Volume (a sampler I heartly endorse) with tears in my eyes.

The Soundpäckchen is made up of:
- 20GB 3G iPod, filled to the brim with ALAC files
- SIK's DIN
- StraightWire mini-to-mini
- XIN Supermicro, crossfeed engaged
- Etymotic ER-4S
- a couple of spare AAAs for the amp
- all snugly fit in a Headroom Obic to make a convenient unit.

Should money start falling out of the sky I might even consider upgrading this with a XIN Supermacro for even more ooomph.
etysmile.gif

Having a "full-sized" rig like this for a short commute can be too much of a hassle at times, but if you have 90 minutes per way each and every day, I'd say make your rig as nice as you can afford it. I assume it makes up for a considerable part of your daily listening, why should you make a compromise? I tried, it does not work once you know what you are missing.

Edit: You may also think about an RF-remote for the iPod should you decide to tangle it up with an amp and put it deep in a bigger case, skipping can be a bit of a hassle.

Jul 17, 2005 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis
Hmm ... your sig says that you're using a PocketDock, but with my 60GB iPod Photo and my Contour Showcase, the PocketDock didn't fit. Neither did the iTrip, of course ... Which is why I quickly ditched the Showcase in favor of the Agent18 Photoshield. Anyway, did you have to modify your Showcase to get it to work with the PocketDock?

I cut mine to fit. I then glued it to a belt clip so that I could clip the Porta Corda and the Showcase together.

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 18
thanks again for the help, gang.

time for specific questions:
  1. hard case or soft case?
  2. are the recorders worth it? do people actually listen to recorded lectures?
  3. is there a known amp/E4 combo that takes care of the so called basslessness?(I'm coming from unmodded Eggos, so I'm used to relatively lean bass)
  4. will an iSkin work with either dock/line out option (the pocket dock or either DIN)?
  5. why do bad things happen to good people?
    icon10.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by heeeraldo

3. is there a known amp/E4 combo that takes care of the so called basslessness?(I'm coming from unmodded Eggos, so I'm used to relatively lean bass)
  4. will an iSkin work with either dock/line out option (the pocket dock or either DIN)?
    icon10.gif

I prefer a hard case myself. I bought an ipodkitz for 40$ us (a Vaja leather case knock-off) which if you push a little, will hold the ipod and the pocket dock. I also have the Contour Showcase, which I like for jogging or golfing (I don't carry an amp for sports).

Before you record the lectures, you'd better clear it with your TA and Prof. Having been a TA, I get very sensitive when I am being recorded, and I make all my students shut off cellphones and pagers in my class as well.

No experience with an iSkin, but the silicone skins that I have tend to attract dust and cat hair!

Actually, check out Ipodlounge for other great tips. Quite a few people here cross post over there as well.

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by heeeraldo

icon10.gif

- how hard are you planning to be on your iPod?
icon10.gif

- I never record lectures, I listen. Nevertheless it might be nice afterwards since listening and taking (extensive) notes at the same is somewhat contradictory.
- certain amps come with switchable bass-boost (dare I say it again, Xin Supermacro)
- the DIN works with everything that works with the regular docking cable, it also locks in place, the PD does not and that ended my interest in it. Lately the preference here seems to be going for the PocketDock, soundwise, after it seemingly had initial problems.
- because life is s*** and then you die.
tongue.gif

Jul 17, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by la_marquise
Before you record the lectures, you'd better clear it with your TA and Prof.

Goes without saying, you have to have permission.

Jul 17, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #11 of 18
the profs I've had tend to make their recording policy known in the first couple classes, which is why I didn't mention anything about asking.

...is it obvious that I'm bored at work and checking the thread a lot?

Jul 17, 2005 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 18
The pocketdock is definitely essential for me. If your car has a tape deck I would recommend line-out to tape adapter. IMO it sounds a lot better than the iTrip and is cheaper. The iTrip is wireless, though.
Check out thinkdifferentstore.com, or ipodlounge, and marvel at the sheer amount of non-essentials.

Jul 18, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by mavis

You have to cut the opening a little. I used a hobby knife to cut and shave the clear plastic and also cut the outer rubber casing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back