iPod + er6i
Jul 29, 2005 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bob_McBob

1000+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased a new 20GB iPod Color, and needless to say, the included headphones don't sound too good (plus they're quite uncomfortable in my ears). After looking around for some new earbuds, I decided the best ones for me (price vs. performance) would probably be a set of Ety er6is (I also looked at the e2cs, but I'd rather have the Etys). I'm all set to order them right away, but I do have some questions first.

1) iPod impedance issue. I've read the iPod has really poor sound when using < 32 ohm headphones. However, Etymotic claims to have designed the er6is (16 ohm) especially for the iPod. What's going on?

2) Several people on head-fi have mentioned that Shure soft flex sleeves work well on the er6is, and are very comfortable. Does anyone keep them on their er6is permanently? Since I live in Canada and have to pay a lot for shipping each time, would it be worth adding a set of them to this order? Would medium be a good standard size to try?

3) Now I have to build one of those damn cmoy amps. And buy some expensive headphones for home listening. Maybe some speakers... damn you, head-fi!
3000smile.gif

Jul 29, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 5
well my 3G 20GB ipod powers my er6i fine. i never go past about 7/10 of the ipod volume or it's too loud for me. they isolate don't forget, unlike the stupid stock earphones. so you dont have to increase volume as much just to "drown out" unwanted noise like your parents banging away in the next room.

Jul 29, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 5
The ER-6i works fine out of the ipod headphone jack. No distortion, nothing. I listen to at about 40% volume at a comfortable level. Past 70% and it's at ear-bleeding volumes.

I've only used the triflanges that came with the Etys.

Jul 29, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob
I've read the iPod has really poor sound when using <
32 ohm headphones.

The only problem with the iPod is that bass is rolled off below 30-40 Hz, other than that, the iPod sounds pretty darn good. I don't know who's saying it has "poor sound", but most music doesn't have anything below 35 Hz anyway unless you like listening to pipe organs or recordings of explosions.

Jul 30, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 5
Well, for instance:
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
Using low impedance headphones, the iPod's bass is noticeably reduced compared to other players, and this puts more emphasis on the mids and highs. However distortion is also increased and with very low impedance phones, this is noticeably worse than other players. With 32 ohm headphones (the same as the shipped earphones) the distortion is not really an issue and yet there is still slightly a lack of bass, which can make people think that the iPod sounds cleaner. In fact, even in technical terms it is cleaner than many other players... just leave those <32 ohm headphones alone though.

There's also a big thread about it on ilounge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back