iPod earphones
Nov 22, 2003 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pomegranate

100+ Head-Fier
Can someone recommend some inner-ear (is that the right name?) earphones to replace the ones that came with my iPod, which turned out to not quite good enough. I'm looking for a set that are easily available in the UK (i.e. not imported upon order) and not too expensive, no more than £30-40.

P

Nov 22, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 7
If you're looking for the same kind of earphones the iPod comes with, they're called "ear buds." I've heard a lot of good things about the Sennheiser MX500s. I know they're readily available in the US, but Sennheiser is a German company so they're probably just as available in Europe.

I just ordered MX500s from newegg.com (a US retailer) for $16USD with free shipping. So they don't exactly break the bank
280smile.gif

Nov 23, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks Bill, I had heard a lot about Sennheiser, mostly on here but thought they must be really pricey, not so I guess. I will probably may for the MX500s, but I like the look of some others better, and there are the MX400RCs with a short wire to plug into a DAP remote, so maybe those.

P

Nov 23, 2003 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 7
Cool, that is reasurring. Call me shallow (I never claim to be an audiophile) but the styling of the MX-500s kinda puts me off them. Nasty cheap looking blue-metal, or at least thats how they look in pics.

p

Nov 23, 2003 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by pomegranate
replace the ones that came with my iPod, which turned out to not quite good enough.P

In fact, you can truely rediscover the token white buds once you drive them with Xin's Super Micro amp.

As said already, the Sennheisers have good reputation, and they are cheap. I would like to know if someone has the Audio Technica CM5 though. While they do not match all your criteria (non import) they do seem to make a much nicer visual match with the iPod.

Uh, just checked audiocubes to see the CM7/CM7ti are out. €137! Earbuds! Argh!
eek.gif

Nov 23, 2003 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 7
I have these earbuds...good, clean sound quality, but no attenuation of outside noise whatsoever, so definitely a no-go in situations where there is significant outside noise (I can't even use them in my favorite coffeeshop). Also, they have an annoying tendency to aim themselves at the side of my ear canal (and thus become very muted) rather than in a direction I can actually hear them. This can be solved by pulling them out a bit, but then they feel like they'll fall out.
smily_headphones1.gif
Ahh well...I'm moving up to Shure E2Cs.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back