ipod earphones (or headphones)
Mar 4, 2005 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

dassbaba

New Head-Fier
I searched for a thread like this but couldn't find one =P

I recently purchased a used 10gig (3g?) ipod. I need some earphones with it. Perhaps if there is a model of headphones that are especially good, i'll consider those.

My price range is around $50 - preferrably under 50. I'm not an total audiphile, but i don't like bad headphones/earphones. I can buy something someone suggests here directly from someone here via ebay. ^_^

My current audio things...
DSP-500 headset for computer (usually just gaming, not a lot of music)
Z-5300 Speakers for PC (my babies, i listen to most of my music w/ them)
Crappy Headphones formy ipod (some ripoff brand i had laying around)

I heard that the Koss Porta Pro's were really good for ipods. I tried some sporta pros before and they were really good.

What about the senn. mx series? Those look cool.

http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...31?Open&print=

What's the best around $50 earphones from the MX series? Since it's senn the quality must be good... which MX model has the best bass?

What counts for me in ipod earphones/headphones?
1 - bass 2 - surround sound 3 - clarity

What music do I listen to?
Classical music, hindi-pop music, some instrumentals, game soundtracks, a few good rock groups (such as smashing pumpkins), a few good punk groups (flogging molly and propaghandi) and some random good groups, blues/funk/jazz too, and some electronica to top it all off ;-]

I listen to pretty much everything, provided it's not some crappy mainstream rock/pop/rap, like the garbage on MTV playing all the time... (haha sorry)

So, what should I get?

Mar 4, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 22
KSC75 for $25... Later when you feel the itch to upgrade get a ~$70 cmoy and a 100 ohm impedence adapter... Great under $100 rig IMHO.

IMHO the senn MX would be a better choice ONLY if you need max portability. Based purely on its fun sonic signature the KSC75 is your best bet... IMHO of course.

**edit** I just got the Dreamtheater "Images & Words Live in Tokyo". Amped KSC75 through an impedence adapter sounds HUGE... Petruccis Mesa rig sounds incredible... Massive lead snarl and palm muted piwer chords thunder with Portnoys kick drum.

IMHO anyone on this forum wanting a sub $100 headphone should seriously consider this tandem. Completely blows my MDRV6 out of the water. Completely keeps up with my DT770 in terms of "fun factor"

Garrett

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 22
interesting, I suppose i'll get these, and an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

i thought koss totally sucks though, that''s what everyone has been saying

are their low end headphones good now?

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by dassbaba
smily_headphones1.gif

if you want cheap Fantastic sounding (open) headhpones, the kosses are teh way to go. Get them, you wont regret it, especially for the price. The only thing to know is that they're open, though, so if you are goign to use these in a library, you might need to get some closed headphones, canalphones (go shure e2c), or earbuds (go sennheiser mx series) for that use.

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by dassbaba
smily_headphones1.gif

Not all of them. Only certain models are worth considering.

With Koss, there are a LOT of bad Kosses along with a few good ones in your price range. Still, that's better than Sony, which has almost everything under $150 that's bad-sounding.

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
KSC75 for $25... Later when you feel the itch to upgrade get a ~$70 cmoy and a 100 ohm impedence adapter... Great under $100 rig IMHO.

I'm totally sold and ready to buy the KSC75's, but what exactly does a 100-ohm-impedance-adapter do and where can I buy one online? I've also got the cmoy part taken care of.

thanks~ g

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 22
*coughs at eagle_driver from inside his lovely, lovely $55 eggos*

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
*coughs at eagle_driver from inside his lovely, lovely $55 eggos*

The Eggos are among the few sub-$150 Sonys that are actually decent. I'm talking about the big line of US-market Sony cans under $150 street price that's almost completely loaded with craptastic (for their price) models. I'm mentioning the V###DJ series, most Street Styles, low-end CD### series and the like.

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 22
http://www.fixup.net/ has pretty good resistors, I think. You can also use an Etymotic Research P/S converter, which is basically a very high-quality 75-Ohm resistor, from www.headphone.com

Koss isn't all bad, not by any means. They make some spectacular budget phones, as well as some craptacular midrange phones (pro3aa anyone?), and they do make a pretty good high-end electrostatic headphone (ESP-950), though information about it is rare. They certainly have the expertise to make good headphones, they're just far more driven by profit than by image and prestige. Let's face it, high-end headphones are a pretty small market... You won't find Beyerdymanic and AKG in any Rat Shack, but Koss is everywhere.

Mar 4, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
The Eggos are among the few sub-$150 Sonys that are actually decent. I'm talking about the big line of US-market Sony cans under $150 street price that's almost completely loaded with craptastic (for their price) models. I'm mentioning the V###DJ series, most Street Styles, low-end CD### series and the like.

I feel the exact same way. If you come to SF, you'll notice that most ppl are using the Sony plastic-closed types they sell at circuit city etc., ipod buds, or street styles. Used to love my folding street styles and took them out of the drawer for jogging the other day - let's just say that I'm probably going to order KSC75s very soon.

Mar 5, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #12 of 22
I would advise against the Koss Pro 1s. They are muddy and boomy... way too much bass. I use the Sennheiser PX-100s with my iPod. They're within your budget, they don't need amping and the sound as good as many headphones that cost several times the price.

See ya
Steve

Mar 5, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
I'm totally sold and ready to buy the KSC75's, but what exactly does a 100-ohm-impedance-adapter do and where can I buy one online? I've also got the cmoy part taken care of.

thanks~ g

IMHOI it mellows out the lower midrange recession. Also seems to push the bass hump lower in the spectrum for more bottom extension. Overall the KSC has a smoother response with the adapter. Dont get me wrong it still has that wonderfull characteristic blass bloat, its just noticeably lower in the spectrum.

I made my own from parts at Frys... metal film 100ohm 2% resistors.

Garrett

Mar 5, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHoboFest
how si this koss?

http://www.fullcompass.com/Products/pages/SKU--55854/

Great for the $$$. Same driver as the KSC75. The UR40 driver does not rest directly on the ear so its less bassy sounding. Sound signature is similar to the SR60, but less tight and refined sounding... a little more sloppy than the SR60 (as is the case with all the koss 60 ohm models).

I bought one for $11 new on ebay.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back