iPod earbuds?
Nov 12, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkhkg11
I've been reading this thread and thinking...

Is it just me or am I the only ones who think the iPod earbuds actually sound remarkably decent? I've compared them to my PX200s and SR60s and don't find any overwhelming need to use those over my earbuds, especially when they're so much lighter and more portable.

Of course they don't sound as good as either...there's very little bass. But everything else is quite clear to my ears and I'm quite satisfied by the quality that Apple has put into these buds.

Of course if you find them uncomfortable, that's another story.

I agree to an extent (aside from the SR60 comment). Considering all the incredibly negative remarks I'm constantly hearing regarding all prepackaged cheapie headphones, I was expecting a lot worse. Then I finally received my iPod a couple days ago and was pleasantly surprised. I think it's absurd to compare them to a pair of cans like SR60s, but they're definitely very listenable. Their low range is almost nonexistent and there isn't much richness to the sound at all, but they're pretty clear and don't sound quite like the tin cans one would expect from from packaged earbuds.

While I almost solely use PortaPros when I'm on the move with my iPod, I find myself switching to the buds every so often to get a short break from the PP's slightly bloated bass.

Nov 12, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #17 of 31
I think what causes the iBuds to sound so craptacular is the fact that the buds are just too big and not ergonomic.

I tried em out one day, and it felt like they were falling outta my ears while I was listening to em. Not to mention that it sounded just like that: headphones put at really loud volume, an inch away from the ears.

It just sounded so shallow that it was unbearable.

Nov 12, 2004 at 11:38 AM Post #18 of 31
Just a couple of comments.

You do know there is a true left and right earbud. It is marked as such just under the foam. Getting this correct does affect the sound and ergonomics.

Griffin Technology makes what is called EarJams. They convert the Apple in ears in someting like the Sony EX71 type of seal. That changes the sound too.

BTW - I hate the Apple in ear and only use them we I need portable but don't want isolation.

Jim

Nov 12, 2004 at 12:50 PM Post #19 of 31
What you think about them will differ according to your ears. They fit mine perfectly so they sound to me like they did to you... good lows, muffled mids and highs, and yes... perfectly decent for 'free' buds. Certainly a lot better than anything Sony and many others can cook up in the same situation. Technically I don't rate them over the MX500 but personally for travelling use the MX500 would be rejected in favour of the iBuds.

Nov 12, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #20 of 31
They might be worth what I paid for them, but I personally wouldn't use a pair to wipe my rear end
rolleyes.gif
Given the price premium of the Pod series, I'm of the opinion that Apple should've ponied up for a pair with at least the sonic quality of the Koss Portas (bottom-line profit and competitive positioning be damned). Then again, that's just me...

Nov 12, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #21 of 31
like seriously, we pay around 300 bucks for these players. we should at least get some decent earbuds. the rio karma comes with the mx300. maybe iPod should get smart and bundle their iPods with mx500 or something.

Nov 12, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
like seriously, we pay around 300 bucks for these players. we should at least get some decent earbuds. the rio karma comes with the mx300. maybe iPod should get smart and bundle their iPods with mx500 or something.

In their opinion, their products are always the best. I dont know if you guys know this. Apple actually introduced a product called iSock, which is similar to real socks and really sucks.

Nov 12, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankcent
Apple actually introduced a product called iSock, which is similar to real socks and really sucks.

Really? Are they white and overpriced?
etysmile.gif

Nov 12, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #24 of 31
I abhore the sound from the stock earbuds. I plugged in my V6s as soon as I could rip the cord of those awful white things out of the headphone jack.

Nov 12, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c

I too beleive the Apple earbuds are poor but I don't think they should bundle better earbuds with the iPod. The great majority of the people think the Apple in ears a just fine. They buy the iPod for functionality, great interface, and the ability to make their entire music collection portable.

When you buy a new home reciever or amp do the speakers come with it? No because everyone has a difference preference in speaker sound and budget.

I would like to see the iPod sold $?? amount cheaper without earphones all together. Offer the Apple earphones as an accessory. The Apple junkies will buy it regardless of how it sounds because it says "Apple". The people that care about the sound will be able to put the discounted amount toward some good phones.

Jim

Nov 13, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #26 of 31
ROFL, I was listening to fr4c's iBuds today. Cranked the volume on the wheel of the iPod 3G all the way up, and the bass made the iBuds sound like they were passing gas. It was distorting so bad.

Nov 13, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by juni0r
ROFL, I was listening to fr4c's iBuds today. Cranked the volume on the wheel of the iPod 3G all the way up, and the bass made the iBuds sound like they were passing gas. It was distorting so bad.

How can you stand that volume?

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #28 of 31
For about a time period of 10-20 seconds max volume is not so painful (aside from the fact that it distortes and sounds like crap). I do usually to music quite loudly though; I usually listen to it at 70-85% on the iPod slider. At home, I listen to my HD 590s out of the rear of an Audigy 2 at 60% using ASIO, which is pretty loud IMO. I used to listen at 75% but that got really painful
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by juni0r
For about a time period of 10-20 seconds max volume is not so painful (aside from the fact that it distortes and sounds like crap). I do usually to music quite loudly though; I usually listen to it at 70-85% on the slider. At home, I listen to my HD 590s out of the rear of an Audigy 2 at 60% using ASIO, which is pretty loud IMO. I used to listen at 75% but that got really painful
smily_headphones1.gif

listening at high volume --- big no no. Your hearing would have been damaged. I never listen to my ipod at more than 45%.

Nov 13, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
How can you stand that volume?

well the only reason he was able to stand it was because we were in a noisy cafeteria, so turning the volume up really didn't "hurt". plus the iBuds distorts really bad on max volume (like farting) so the sound wasnt really "full" in a way. but if you were to do these will aftermarket buds, then thats a whole new story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back