iPod earbuds?
Nov 5, 2004 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

fr4c

Headphoneus Supremus
what do you think of the earbuds that came with your iPod? after comparing it with some of my other earbuds, i actually consider it to be pretty good (considering the fact that it came with the DAP). i think the bass is really good but lacks the mids and highs. plus it really helped after i did a simple mod with these buds.

Nov 5, 2004 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 31
They are worth what you paid for them
rs1smile.gif
Personally, I think you could do a lot better with a pair of Senn MX500's for less than $20.

Nov 5, 2004 at 5:47 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
plus it really helped after i did a simple mod with these buds.

Awww, thanks for letting us know everything about it
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 31
I had some free time one day and compared 4 different generic earbuds on my iPod, including the iPod earbud.

They all sound remarkably similar, but the iPod ones are one of the better ones.

Still, they all sound like S(*% UNLESS one does what I call "Earjam" mod. Basically, you play a song with the bud in your ears in regular position. Then you start to slowly rotate anteriorly and push in the buds until the bass quantity becomes like 3x louder, indicating a better seal with your ear canal.

In this mode, the iPod's bass improves incredibly, improving midrange greatly as well with tons more detail and warmth. It's a transformation. The seal breaks if you move too much, but everyone should give it a shot.

Nov 6, 2004 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
I had some free time one day and compared 4 different generic earbuds on my iPod, including the iPod earbud.

They all sound remarkably similar, but the iPod ones are one of the better ones.

Still, they all sound like S(*% UNLESS one does what I call "Earjam" mod. Basically, you play a song with the bud in your ears in regular position. Then you start to slowly rotate anteriorly and push in the buds until the bass quantity becomes like 3x louder, indicating a better seal with your ear canal.

In this mode, the iPod's bass improves incredibly, improving midrange greatly as well with tons more detail and warmth. It's a transformation. The seal breaks if you move too much, but everyone should give it a shot.

I think they sound like **** too and I always put some pressure on them towards my ear to hear more bass, I don't understand the "earjum" mod, can you put it in other words please?

Nov 6, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 31
as an happy ipod owner, i feel insulted by the fact that they have to include those atroscious little pieces of crap with it. TWICE for me as I purchased the matching remote. And of course I've sold both of them off.

Nov 6, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 31
He took off the rubber piece where the headphone cable splits into two individual L-R cables. Then he wrapped aluminum foil around the cable and put the rubber piece back on with a true professional item: scotch tape. I listened afterwards and there was actually bass present without any EQ presets turned on in the iPod. I didn't A-B stock and modded iBuds so I can't say if it's placebo or not, sorry. He thinks it's better than MX500/550, I can't say for sure.

Nov 7, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 31
yes, like the iPod itself. but at least they paid the workers who put the iPod together. and oh yeah, junior, the professional item that i used to bind the cables together isnt scotch tape, its a glue like water proof sealant that is used on pipes.
eggosmile.gif
you silly goose.

Nov 7, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by mos86
I think they sound like **** too and I always put some pressure on them towards my ear to hear more bass, I don't understand the "earjum" mod, can you put it in other words please?

Let's say you put in your earbuds in "regular way," with flat part of earbuds pretty much parallel to each othe like this: l l This sounds bad with almost no bass or midrange richness.

If you are just pressing on top of earbuds in this position, you may get more bass but you still have not much seal.

I'm talking about rotating and pressing the earbuds so that the flat parts are angled to each other like this: \ / wide part is your face's front. Rotation is really a few milimeters but enough to "jam" the earbuds against that small fleshy earknob at entrance of canal in front of your ear.

It should fit tight enough that lightly tugging on earbuds should not move it at all. If pulled somewhat harder, it will lose the tightness and fall out of the "jammed" position.

There's really no way you can miss the jammed position b/c the overall bass and volume level increases at least 2-3 X.

Nov 7, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Let's say you put in your earbuds in "regular way," with flat part of earbuds pretty much parallel to each othe like this: l l This sounds bad with almost no bass or midrange richness.

If you are just pressing on top of earbuds in this position, you may get more bass but you still have not much seal.

I'm talking about rotating and pressing the earbuds so that the flat parts are angled to each other like this: \ / wide part is your face's front. Rotation is really a few milimeters but enough to "jam" the earbuds against that small fleshy earknob at entrance of canal in front of your ear.

It should fit tight enough that lightly tugging on earbuds should not move it at all. If pulled somewhat harder, it will lose the tightness and fall out of the "jammed" position.

There's really no way you can miss the jammed position b/c the overall bass and volume level increases at least 2-3 X.

Thanks, I will try it the minute i'll be @ home.

Nov 8, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #14 of 31
um i tried the "earjam" method. seems to boost the bass from these cheapies. i wish i could switch out the drivers outta these iPod buds and put something decent in...

Nov 12, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #15 of 31
I've been reading this thread and thinking...

Is it just me or am I the only ones who think the iPod earbuds actually sound remarkably decent? I've compared them to my PX200s and SR60s and don't find any overwhelming need to use those over my earbuds, especially when they're so much lighter and more portable.

Of course they don't sound as good as either...there's very little bass. But everything else is quite clear to my ears and I'm quite satisfied by the quality that Apple has put into these buds.

Of course if you find them uncomfortable, that's another story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back