iPod earbud upgrade on a budget
Jan 13, 2006 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dave_pass

New Head-Fier
Can anyone make a recommendation on the best iPod earbud upgrade for $50?

The real recommendation is...get more money...but if you HAD to recommend something under $50, what would it be?

Thanks,
Dave

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 12
Do some research on www.headphone.com, particularly in their listing of iPod headphones:
http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-application/ipod/

And, of course, use the search function here and in the Portable Audio forum. Anyway...

For something portable, but not sealed (the iPod earbud isn't sealed either): Koss KSC 75 for about $12. Next step up would be the Sennheiser PX 100. It's not as tiny as the Koss, but still very portable - folds up and comes with a nice hard case. The Koss PortaPro is similar.

For something portable and sealed: Sony MDR-ex71, ex81, or Panasonic HJE50. Shure e2c if you can stretch a little to ~$65. Maybe AKG K 26 P. These typically won't sound as good as the non-sealed choices above (KSC 75, PX 100, or PortaPro).

If you don't need much portability, I suggest saving another $20-$30 and getting the Grado SR 60 or Sennheiser EH 350. These are basically for home use, but are lightweight and still work well in portable settings.

Out of all this, I'd take PX 100 in the first category, ex81 (mostly because it stays on more securely) in the second category, or EH 350 in the third one.

Jan 13, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 12
If you don't want IEMs i'd say go for the koss ksc75.
I wouldn't recommend you the ex71s, just because the wire is too fragile, and it's easily breakable (mine only lasted 3 months) and for $40(give or take) you have better choices.
If you want IEMs check the shures (e2c) if you can strech your budget a little (maybe you won't even need if you look around).

Jan 13, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 12
Everyone has already mentioned good upgrade choices.

If you want earbuds and not IEMs, canalphones or clip-ons, Sony MDR-E888LP is what you want. There are not many good earbuds to choose from.

Jan 14, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 12
Second the HJE50, sounds great out of my Ipod. If you can stretch it, SR60's are great(esp for rock), maybe try e-bay
orphsmile.gif

Jan 14, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 12
i've read great things about the sennheiser mx### series if you decide to stay with earbuds. been meaning to pick up a pair myself, actually.

my vote would go to sony 888's but i've had reliability issues with sony buds in the past and vowed to stay away from them. YMMV

the shure e2c is right at the tip of your price range. they are great entry-level canalphones but IMHO, they sound like garbage coming from an unamped portable source.

ksc75 and sennheiser px100 both sound pretty good, but they are open. i find that i while i enjoy my ksc75 a lot, i cannot wear them out in public because too much environment noise gets into my music. same can probably be said about the px100, though i must admit, i never tried them.

Jan 16, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks very much for the advice.

I'm going to go for the Panasonic HJE50. Amazon has a great deal on them at $20.99 with free shipping for orders over $25.

If those don't work I'll give the e2c's a shot. These are going to be used on the bus and walking around town, so closed with a secure fit is important.

Here's hoping they're good enough to get by while I save up....

Jan 17, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #10 of 12
PX100, for the full 50 dollars there is nothing better. there should be a PX100 smilie

Jan 17, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 12
KSC75... hands down... unless you need added durability, or isolation.

Amazon had them for $13 + S/H over the holidays. You might be able to squeeze a used cmoy + KSC75 for under $50. Not going to beat that IMHO. They scale up with better amplification too.

Garrett

Jan 17, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #12 of 12
Another vote for the Koss KSC 75, or the 35 if you can find them (Creative was selling these for $10 a while back). Buy one of those two and run far far away from this forum before you go broke.

I haven't heard the PX100s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back