ipod docking station +active speakers
May 27, 2008 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Lock

Head-Fier
Hi,

I currently have my ipod running through either a Ibasso D1 or a C&C+ Box into a 3.5mm to my active speakers. They are studio monitors so have no volume control only a trim control on each speaker. The volume is therefore dictated by the line level input.

I want to get an ipod dock/cradle for convenience. They seem to have 'line out' on them and some have a 'volume' control.

I basicly want a ipod dock with remote and volume control.... do these exist, if so where from? If I can get a decent one, it will replace me using my Headphone amp as a glorified volume control.... Ideally it would have phono outs rather than just 3.5mm too.

I think the Onkyo DAS AS2 would meet my needs but since 'line outs' (I always thought) were a fixed volume/gain that it would still need something else to control the level into my active speakers....

advice welcome...

thanks
Lock

May 27, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #2 of 4
the apple universal dock can be used with an optional remote control. I am pretty sure the volume is only attenuating the line level signal.

May 27, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the apple universal dock can be used with an optional remote control. I am pretty sure the volume is only attenuating the line level signal.

cheers mate. After very extensive googling I found some information that suggests this too. Some say it is just attenuated and no real loss in audio quality, other seem to say it is in fact lower quality than the jack..... although I'm not sure about that... I'll do some more research.

Anybody else with info please post, there are a lot of docks out there so I'd be interested to hear peoples opinions on sound quality.

cheers

May 28, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 4
well i have the universal dock and i must say the "line out" is of higher quality than the headphone jack. I dont think there are any option that would give you true out line out and a volume control, just doesn't seem possible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back