iPod (dockable) portable line out possibility
Oct 26, 2003 at 1:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Cacophony

New Head-Fier
I own a 30gb 3g iPod, and as I've seen mentioned by several other users, I'm frustrated by the fact that nobody manufactures a dock connector -> line out adapter.

I'm using iPod->TotalAirhead->Ety 4S as my mobile system. TA into the headphone jack just sounds awful
frown.gif

Anyway, I noticed that Belkin makes an adaptor they call the "Auto charger w/audio". Has a cig lighter adapter & a line out jack. At $50 it's madness.

Anybody have one of these that can compare the dock line out & belkin line out? I must be insane, I'm actually considering lugging this belkin widget around in my bag...or maybe taking it apart customizing it to 3.5mm male.

Oct 26, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #2 of 10
The Belkin auto adapter is not a true line-out. It has an amplifier of uncertain quality built in to it.

The iPod headphone output puts out a pretty pure signal, so I'm not sure you'd do any better with the Belkin auto adapter.

--Chris

Oct 26, 2003 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 10
Strange that it's got an amp...why would this be desired when the purpose of that output would be to connect to a line-in on a car stereo?

I think this is the only accessory cable that has the line-out wired...somebody correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Oct 26, 2003 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Cacophony
I think this is the only accessory cable that has the line-out wired...somebody correct me if I'm wrong about this.

It is the only one I am aware of. But what I truely want is this:
<http://www.sendstation.com/>
..with a line-out instead of the firewire port. A portable line-out solution would greatly increase my desire for a new iPod.

Oct 26, 2003 at 12:07 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Oliver
smily_headphones1.gif

It is the only one I am aware of. But what I truely want is this:
<http://www.sendstation.com/>
..with a line-out instead of the firewire port. A portable line-out solution would greatly increase my desire for a new iPod.

That is what I want to. I hope Headroom is reading.

Oct 26, 2003 at 12:12 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by lextek
That is what I want to.

Well, all write in to SendStation, I just did it. I suggested the same product with an extra 3,5mm Line-Out, or the same thing with just the Line-out, sans FW.

Oct 27, 2003 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 10
Well, here's a
annotated photo showing the pin-out info for the dock connector. I may order one of those sendstation pocketdocks and see what i can do about this problem...

Oct 27, 2003 at 1:15 AM Post #8 of 10
Well, here's a
annotated photo showing the pin-out info for the dock connector. I may order one of those sendstation pocketdocks and see what i can do about this problem...

Oct 27, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 10
Heh. I think we're going to need to move this thread to the DIY area soon.

I ordered a pocketdock today. When it arrives I'll post takeapart pics & see what I can do. Any recommendations on 3.5mm jacks to use?

lextek, couldn't you just cut out the amplifier in your belkin autoadapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back