Ipod dock ?
Apr 3, 2011 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kodreaming

500+ Head-Fier
A friend of mine is looking for a simple home audio system.
I am thinking about an IPod dock that he can use his iphone to play Pandora.

Any suggestion ?

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 10
Is it important that it has the doc functionality? Because all iPod docs I've ever heart were pretty crappy in sound quality + alomst always overpriced. The only really good sounding ones are probably the Audioengine A5 but those cost +325$.
If he doesn't need the recharge function of the doc I would go for a pair of M-Audio AV40 speakers. You can find them for 150$ on Amazon and they sound absolutely awesome for their price.

Apr 4, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 10
Ipod's line-out is awesome...Very versatile...
beerchug.gif

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
But, is ipod powerful enough to drive a set of speakers ?

Yes. The Audioengine A5 and M-Audio AV40 are powered speakers. This means they have an internal amplifier. And require power to run of cource..

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #7 of 10
Just with a mini to RCA cable. Mini goes into the iPod out and the RCA goes into the AV40.
http://www.metropartsmarket.com/catalogs/audio/radio/Acc_Cable.gif
I think you'll get one with the AV40 but I'm not sure. Those cables only cost like 1$ though and you can find them everywhere.

And, no, you don't need an amp. Like I said, they're active speakers which means they have an internal amp.

Apr 7, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 10
Hey I was just wondering as far as a LOD connection is concerned is it pretty much the same as a preamp out? Also going into somthing like the FiiO e7 from my ipad I can use the camera connection kit to hook up the ipad via a usb cable, this dosn't work with my iphone or ipod though.  is there a signifigant quality difference going from LOD or the USB in that instance?

Thanks,

Bryan

Apr 7, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
I see.  I actually have that cable. 

But,how is the ipod connected in the first picture ?

Like I said, this isn't a dockingstation. So your iPod won't charge. If this is a problem you can always get the Pure i-20 as docking + the AV40. The nice thing about the Pure i-20 is that you can use it to connect your iPod to anything you want so it's upgrade proof. Plus it has awesome sound quality.
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/av-accessories/pure-digital-i-20-921473/review

I don't like 'real' docking stations all that much. They are always overcosted and you'll need to get a really expensive one if you want any decent  soundquality. If you really need the docking you should go for the Audioengine A5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back