iPod dock vs. Center Channel Speaker
Nov 19, 2012 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

alatos

New Head-Fier
I'll start off by saying I have no experience with audio equipment. I'm looking to spend under $200. 

Is it reasonable to buy a center channel speaker to use with an iPod? How would they be connected? 

Or what might be a better question: what is the best setup for an iPod speaker under $200?

I'm sure you get these kind of beginner questions all the time, so any help is appreciated. 

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 9
An iPod is stereo
A center channel speaker is mono
the iPod needs a powered stereo speaker
a center channel is not powered.

You are probably better off getting one of those iPod docks with built in speakers and a built in amp.
Bose tends to get a lot of advertising but is rather overpriced. Avoid Bose.

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
Or what might be a better question: what is the best setup for an iPod speaker under $200?

Amp : $34
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-380

Speaker : $29
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-652

Cables : around $20?

---

Also, a dock to keep the iPod upright, and it usually comes with a 3.5mm lineout port  to send a signal to the amp.

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #4 of 9
An iPod is stereo
A center channel speaker is mono
the iPod needs a powered stereo speaker
a center channel is not powered.
You are probably better off getting one of those iPod docks with built in speakers and a built in amp.
Bose tends to get a lot of advertising but is rather overpriced. Avoid Bose.

+1. I also hate horizontal speakers in general. But that's a rant for another time. The simple answer is that you cannot just buy a "center channel speaker" and hook it up to your iPod.

Regarding Bose specifically - their dock thingamajig (OT: my spell-checker actually let this one past) was mentioned a while ago, apparently pretty bass happy and *very* expensive (I think they want something like $600 for that gadget).

I know Yamaha has some neat looking (as in, I get their mailer, and can go "ooo pretty!" at the pictures) dock devices out, and there's probably a plethora of other options for every budget. Like this gadget: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-systems/mcr-040__u/?mode=model (I think they come in every color the iPod comes in, at least that's what I would assume from the pictures).

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the answers. I feel really stupid asking about the center speaker now 
biggrin.gif

Sorry to bother you guys with this kind of simple question. I have been searching all over the internet, but I don't know all the terms, so it's generally hard for me to understand the results that I find.  

Will any iPod dock under $200 provide respectable sound? 

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 9
The Onkyo seems to boast of the SBX-300's bass capabilities, while they boast more of a precision sound on the identically priced ABX-100. As a fan of classical music and classic rock, do you think I would be better advised to go for the ABX? 

Nov 20, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
The Onkyo seems to boast of the SBX-300's bass capabilities, while they boast more of a precision sound on the identically priced ABX-100. As a fan of classical music and classic rock, do you think I would be better advised to go for the ABX? 

Could be. I haven't heard that model. But the SBX-300 does have somewhat boosted bass (even with the extra boost turned off, it's still north of neutral) so maybe the ABX is a good way to go. 

Amazon sells it so if you try it and absolutely hate it, you could always send it back. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back