iPod dock output better than headphone out?
Feb 15, 2009 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

NilsenNorway

Head-Fier
Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but i dont know much about iPods.

Im thinking about getting a Touch (please dont shoot me lol)

Will i get better sound quality if i use the standard apple dock connected via rca to an amp like the Pro-Ject Head Box II than if i use the headphone out? I belive i have read that the new ipods sounds better going through the dock.

Im guessing the ipod wont read my wma lossless files so im gonna have to re-rip my fav albums to apple lossless for best SQ right?

Feb 15, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by NilsenNorway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but i dont know much about iPods.

Im thinking about getting a Touch (please dont shoot me lol)

not all of us hate ipods just for the sake of it here; only some. the 2G touch is a very nice sounding player; and the extra functionality makes ot a win win in my book. I've got an iPhone 3G already or I would get one.

Quote:

Will i get better sound quality if i use the standard apple dock connected via rca to an amp like the Pro-Ject Head Box II than if i use the headphone out? I belive i have read that the new ipods sounds better going through the dock.

actually its the other way around. the 2G touch does have a nice line-out and feeding an amp from that over the HP out is a good idea IMO; but the new ipods have actually got less components in the signal path, so they have a cleaner HP out; making the gap between HP and lineout narrower than it was on previous models. the classic has a really low noise floor, but I still prefer 5.5G SQ.

Quote:

Im guessing the ipod wont read my wma lossless files so im gonna have to re-rip my fav albums to apple lossless for best SQ right?

Correct.

Feb 15, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 11
Thx
smily_headphones1.gif
I do have a first gen 512mb shuffle somewhere but i mostly enjoy music at home so portable gear has never been that interesting to me.

I would like to have the Touch for use in bed, when im at the cabin in the mountains or in the garden during the summer without having to haul too much sound gear to those places. I have wifi with internet both places so i should be set.

Is there any way to use MSN err... live messenger with the touch over wifi too?

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:00 AM Post #7 of 11
Im+ also let's you use a variety of messenger services!

Lineout does indeed generally sound better from iPods but adds a significant expense as well as bulk!

Personally though I gotta say it's worth it!

Feb 15, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 11
I was thinking about mainly having the dock and headphone amp sitting on the table by the bed so bulk is not really an issue
smily_headphones1.gif

It would be conveniant to have that setup so i could listen to music and be able to talk on msn messenger by the bed without having the laptop there to light up the entire room and annoy the missus hehe.

Feb 26, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by NilsenNorway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My HD555's should be driven with ease by the Touch right?

Yes, I drove mine out of the headphone for about a month before I got a LOD. I would say that getting a LOD and an amp isn't that much of an improvement for those headphones and isn't worth the price.
It does help, but not that much for those headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back