iPod dock line out
Jan 28, 2007 at 5:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Ace o' Spades

500+ Head-Fier
When I use the line out through my Universal iPod Dock, I can still adjust the volume through the click wheel. When I tried it on my friends stereo system, it was more like a "true" line out where the volume control is fixed.

When connected to my via the line out PIMETA through a homemade interconnect, I can still adjust the volume through the iPod's click wheel controls. How can I make it so that the volume is always constant?

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #2 of 13
As far as I know, "true" line-out means NO amplification of the signal. Therefore no matter how much you adjust the volume, it shouldn't affect the signal, only your amp should be able to adjust the volume.

You might want to try a Turbodock or ALO line-out.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 13
There is definitely something up there. My iPod doc does not amplify at all, I can adjust the volume all I want and I get no change in sound. For a true line out, as describe above, it should be unamplified.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by faceless007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think this is something that only affects the 5G and 5.5G iPods. Why, I don't know.

That's a pretty blind comment (lol kind of suits your username
wink.gif
). The issue here is simply that whatever the OP is using, it is tapping into the wrong pins of the dock of the iPod.
+++
I just read the OP's post again, and iirc, the "Universal iPod Dock" is not a true line-out solution. Like Advil said, try ALO.

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif
). The issue here is simply that whatever the OP is using, it is tapping into the wrong pins of the dock of the iPod.
+++
I just read the OP's post again, and iirc, the "Universal iPod Dock" is not a true line-out solution. Like Advil said, try ALO.

I think that's it as well, because most docks do not let the ipod change volume

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

wink.gif
+++

wow, I thought the apple universal dock was a true line out, now I need to find another dock

Feb 3, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

wink.gif
).

Uh, what's that supposed to mean?

Quote:

The issue here is simply that whatever the OP is using, it is tapping into the wrong pins of the dock of the iPod.
+++

What I heard was that the 5G doesn't output a true line-out on the line-out pins on its dock connector (pins 3 and 4), whereas all the other iPods do. If the volume can be changed only on the Universal Dock as well, I'm not sure how to explain that, but I would think the volume is being changed by the iPod itself, not the Dock, since you change the volume using the Click Wheel.

Mar 9, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by faceless007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uh, what's that supposed to mean?

What I heard was that the 5G doesn't output a true line-out on the line-out pins on its dock connector (pins 3 and 4), whereas all the other iPods do. If the volume can be changed only on the Universal Dock as well, I'm not sure how to explain that, but I would think the volume is being changed by the iPod itself, not the Dock, since you change the volume using the Click Wheel.

The 5G iPod that I have can't change the volume of the line-out when I use a DIY dock... but is able to do so on the iPod Hi-Fi and other docking solutions. I think that the dock that is used in those cases is more of a data transfer solution rather than a true LOD...

Mar 9, 2007 at 9:00 AM Post #11 of 13
Why can't it be a true line-out just because there is an attenuater in the dock ??? that happens to be controlled by the ipod...

It plays at a lower volumen than the headphoneout so I don't think it is amplified....

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #12 of 13
using my turbo diablous V and my Nano I can say it is a big jump from the headphone out without an amp to using the nano, line out, and amp. I need to get a picture of it with my AE-1 but I was waiting to get my iBasso T1 for a better smaller configuration and post it while using my AT-EW9. That is going to be my next portable configuration. Nano-Turbo line out-iBasso T1->AT-EW9. Small, light, good sound I hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back