ipod dock line-out cable worth it?
Jul 11, 2007 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

frtorreira

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

I just ordered a pair of Beyerdynamic's DT 880 and a HEADPHONIA Portable Headphone Amp PRO. I own a 1st gen ipod nano which I currently use with my Grados SR80. My question is, in order to take advantage of my new equipment, should I buy a dock line-out cable or is the nano headphone lineout OK? Would the dock lineout significantly improve the SQ?
I am newbie and would also appreciate any comments on my future babies :)

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 8
Yes, definitely.
The line out dock will bypass the crappy ipod internal headphone amp. Then you'll connect the line-out to your external amp. The result will be a lot better.
You can also connect the ipod headphone out to your external amp, but this way you'll be amplifying the signal twice which is NOT good. You'll get distortion by doing this.
So again, yes it's very worthy to get the line out dock ...

Jul 11, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks, I just sent a PM to Turbo. I hope the cable won't be very expensive.

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 8
Hello again,

I just got an answer from Turbo. It seems his dock to mini cable is $20 more expensive than one I found at qables (the cheapest one sells for ~$32, without shipping). Qables also has more expensive cables. Do you think I will notice the difference with my new equipment between $54 and $32 cables? I do not want the cable to be my weak link, but on the other hand maybe the difference between cables is not a big deal at all and only contributes to the peace of mind of high-end audiophiles. What's your opinion?

Thanks!!

Jul 11, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 8
headphone jack output vs. lineout via any dock cable = huge improvement
Turbo or ALO dock cable vs. Qables or SIK dock cable = minor but noticeable improvement

BTW, this opinion comes from a guy who spent $75 on a Cryo Dock.
600smile.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 8
Well, I ordered a cable from barqy. He said he used the same components as turbo for half the price. I hope it will work fine. Thanks anyway for your advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back