iPod dock connector
Jul 1, 2009 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mellows

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to turn my iPod's standard USB cable into an audio one. One small problem: I can't get the little dock connector thing open... It's the standard Apple connector, not the one of the new little ones, the old bigger one with the release system thing. Anyone else done this? I've tried prying it open with an art knife but no luck.

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mellows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm trying to turn my iPod's standard USB cable into an audio one. One small problem: I can't get the little dock connector thing open... It's the standard Apple connector, not the one of the new little ones, the old bigger one with the release system thing. Anyone else done this? I've tried prying it open with an art knife but no luck.

It is much easier to just buy the dock connector, they can be had for just a few bucks. Then you have a full connector that you can solder to.
iPod/iPhone Dock Connector ordering

I have order from here a number of times. Even with them being located outside the US I got my parts within about a week.

If you try to take an Apple Connector apart it will most like be destroyed, those pins are very tiny and very fragile. In fact if you order a connector from the above site I suggest you get at least 2, cause you may damage the first one.

Jul 1, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 6
If the connector is anything like the aftermarket ones, it could be held together by hot glue. You can get it apart with a heat gun, but I haven't managed to do this without melting the case slightly.

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 6
I have had a lot of success making LOD cables with These

I have made six for myself and friends. A sharp knife and a little finesse, I used forceps to pull the pins and move them to the appropriate spots - 2,3,4 cut off the usb add a Neutrik from Dale and for $2.21 and a little heat shrink you have a decent cable.
Totally lo-fi but it works and does the job.

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had a lot of success making LOD cables with These

I have made six for myself and friends. A sharp knife and a little finesse, I used forceps to pull the pins and move them to the appropriate spots - 2,3,4 cut off the usb add a Neutrik from Dale and for $2.21 and a little heat shrink you have a decent cable.
Totally lo-fi but it works and does the job.

Probably worth the time savings to spend the extra buck on a proper connector. The bare connectors only cost ~$2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back