iPod > Cryo Dock > ??? > Shure E500
Apr 2, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #31 of 50
I would certainly go for:
iPod > Cryo Dock > Tomahawk > Shure E500

Apr 2, 2007 at 9:59 PM Post #32 of 50
Another vote for the Portaphile v2^2maxxed. Though I would love to audition the other ones mentioned, but for now no complaints.
etysmile.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #35 of 50
hey Coltrane, you know Thelonious Monk on this forum? Get together and make some sweet music
k1000smile.gif

Seriously, though, here's one that went from Portaphile maxxed to SM IV to Hornet, now returned to Portaphile maxxed and wondering why I went thru all those convolutions. Wouldn't now get rid of the Portaphile for any other portable; use it as a portable and Ray's SR-71 as bedside/desk amp -- all coupled with Ety4p, Vibe or Beyer's 880. Portaphile and SR-71 are, to me and after all the above migrations, great synergy with the 'phones I use

O Nick: I;m getting about 5 hrs using one of several rechargeable NiMH, about 2 with Energizer alkaline and 8-10 or so with Ultralife Lithiums.

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey Coltrane, you know Thelonious Monk on this forum? Get together and make some sweet music
k1000smile.gif

Seriously, though, here's one that went from Portaphile maxxed to SM IV to Hornet, now returned to Portaphile maxxed and wondering why I went thru all those convolutions. Wouldn't now get rid of the Portaphile for any other portable; use it as a portable and Ray's SR-71 as bedside/desk amp -- all coupled with Ety4p, Vibe or Beyer's 880. Portaphile and SR-71 are, to me and after all the above migrations, great synergy with the 'phones I use

O Nick: I;m getting about 5 hrs using one of several rechargeable NiMH, about 2 with Energizer alkaline and 8-10 or so with Ultralife Lithiums.

tnmike1,
give an opinion of the SM4 vs the portaphile maxxed. I assume the SM4 was maxxed also?

Apr 3, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone have a clear read on what the wait times are these days for a SuperMicro-IV?

Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
approximately 3 months...

Actually, it's closer to 4 months these days...hate to burst your bubble, Dude! If you look at the trend of the couple months it's been 4 months. That means mine should be here around June! I'm patiently waiting...planning...buying things to go with it!

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickknutson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, it's closer to 4 months these days...hate to burst your bubble, Dude! If you look at the trend of the couple months it's been 4 months. That means mine should be here around June! I'm patiently waiting...planning...buying things to go with it!

Seriously~?
frown.gif

I head that the delays were due to Xin implementing improvements, now he is over that and the 2-3 week waiting is back on track, can anyone confirm?

Apr 3, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #40 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously~?
frown.gif

I head that the delays were due to Xin implementing improvements, now he is over that and the 2-3 week waiting is back on track, can anyone confirm?

I ordered mine on Feb 19th and it's not here yet...just trust me, don't get your hopes up for anything less than 3-4 months. I plan on getting it by June 19th...that way I'll just be pleasantly surprised if it gets here any sooner
icon10.gif

Apr 3, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #41 of 50
More evidence: Ordered my SMIV on December 20th and has still not arrived . . . .
Just order it and forget about it - its the only way. Of course, you need a backup to hold you over until it arrives.

Apr 3, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #44 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of all portable amp reputations, the SuperMicro-IV has me thinking "I'll believe it when I hear it" more than any other. I have a really hard time believing that tiny clear plastic gizmo is really capable of better sound than a larger, more expensive amp like the Tomahawk or Headphonia.

Does anyone have a clear read on what the wait times are these days for a SuperMicro-IV?

well, take out the extra battery and add a plastic case on the tomohawk and you have... the supermicro except that the supermicro is cheaper, uses more battery and well, probably drives bigger headphones better than the tomohawk. certainly, 120 battery life of teh th may contribute to some of its iem only swank.

ive never heard one though... haha. the hornet was a rather impressive piece and the th is supposed to be similar to a small degree less unpleasant, so i would not be a bad choice, but for half the price, you could get what i consider and perhaps others the best audio bargain in the amp world, the super micro iv. it is running now. the only thing about the th that i would like better other than the beautiful case ($$$) is the volume pot and the battery life. you pay for what you look at. the micro, i try not to look at it!

Apr 4, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #45 of 50
I just got my tomahawk, and the big differences are dead silence , improved bass, and treble smooths out.The soundstage is more 3d and the dynamics are improved. This is with E500s, I hear the sound actually improves with burn in , right now it sounds fantastic
icon10.gif

It's not night and day difference, but I love the sound this little fellow puts out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back