iPod Color IEM Quandry
Oct 1, 2005 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

xaipemw

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys and gals,

I'm back after a long absence. I was gone because I finally found the system that "did it for me" for my CD collection. Alas, what headphones worked for that setup will obviously not work as a portable system for use with my new 60GB color iPod.

Basically, I've narrowed it down to the three IEM's that everyone seems to be talking about . The Ultimate Ears super.fi 5, and Ety's ER-4S and ER-4P. The price difference isn't the big deal. It's what will sound better to me. I used to have a 2nd-gen iPod that I'm convinced sounded better than my new one, especially in the bass department. I've read that the UE's produce a deeper, or at least more powerful bass than the Ety's. However, I've also read that the Ety's are simply better overall than the UE's.

If that's the case, I'd be willing to plunk down more for the better set of cans. Now, I've read (I believe on here, actually) that the newest iPods sound better with higher impedance earphones. But, I'd rather rely on first-hand knowledge from some of you guys to help me make my decision.
etysmile.gif

I should also say that the majority of my music, which varies from classical to rock to electronica, is ripped at 320kps AAC.

Thanks!

Oct 1, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 6
Yeah, i've done a few searches and the Shure seems to be a decent choice as well.

It seems to me that the Shures seem to be getting better reviews for certain types of music than others. If I believe that my iPod's bass is a little wanting, would I get enough response from a pair of Ety's? Their detail is what makes them really interesting to me.

Oct 2, 2005 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm sure you considered the UM2's as well. Quite fantastic out of an iPod Mini and a super subway can. Regardless, I almost jumped on a pair of ER4's today as they were $199 down at J&R. Proud of my self control, I am.

Oct 2, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 6
I decided after reading many threads, and after figuring out that my new iPod is slightly bass-deficient in my book, that I'd go for the Super.fi 5 Pros. I just got them today (the clear versions at my local Guitar center) and have been enjoying them a lot. I for the heck of it also hooked them up to my Perreaux, although I had to turn the volume all the way down!

These cans seem to be a great match for my iPod. I'm glad with my choice.
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaipemw
Alas, what headphones worked for that setup will obviously not work as a portable system for use with my new 60GB color iPod.

Check the impedances of the IEMs you are considering since low impedance IEMs may have a distortion issue with your current source. Check this thread out. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back