iPod Classic stomps all over 5th gen
Oct 19, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #151 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The goal of a source is to present the music flat... exactly to spec. If you want to add color to the sound, you do that with equalization or speakers/headphones. The iPod of all generations is remarkably flat. It's neither bassy nor trebley. The reason people describe it as being all over the place is because listeners aren't as well calibrated as iPods.

Okay, I'm no expert, but you're talking about probably a dozen different models with several unique combinations of circuit designs and audio components. And you're saying they all sound pretty much the same? This is still the Head-Fi forums, right? Just checking.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 19, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #152 of 154
I have a 30gig 3g, a 40gig 3g, an 80gig 4g Photo, 3 5.5g 80gigs, and a 160 Classic. I have compared all of them. There are differences in sound from the headphone out if I use home style cans, but the line out from all of them is for all intents and purposes identical.

My system is equalized very carefully. The setting for my CD player works exactly the same with my iPod.

Headphones all sound different. Speakers all sound different. iPods are all pretty much the same. The differences between them are the features, not the sound.

See ya
Steve

Oct 19, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #153 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you kidding me? The soundstage on the Classic is MUCH wider than the 5g. The 5g is extremely congested, and really has no soundstage. I have no idea about the iMod, but the soundstage on the stock 5g is terrible...

...That I agree with. A good cable makes all the difference in the world.

Are you talking about line out soundstage?

Originally I posted I liked the 6G classic better after a brief listen to it, and it was suggested I go back and listen again to the "details". So, I went back and I spent 4 hours A-B studying the line out of the stock 5.5G vs a friend's stock classic. I found indeed there was a subtle difference in the new 6G that took a lot of time to hear. It is with the same difficulty that I need an hour to tell the difference between a 320kbps VBR file and an Apple lossless. I felt the frequency balance of the 6G and the quickness/attack was better, but with a good cable and amp, the 5.5G line out dock had a more open feeling. I'm not the only one hearing this. However, it was clear that the LOD soundstage from either is better than the headphone out from either.

For my purposes, I'd still be as happy with the sound of 6G classic as my 5.5G, as I am not turning my nose up on everything that doesn't meet 100% audiophile level (even 90% is okay with me). I actually spend more time now listening to a 3G nano with Tomahawk than my 5.5G video or Touch because if the size convenience, but once the 5.5G has the iMod done, I believe it will beat the 3G nano/Touch/6G classic for sound quality (except for iRiver with lossless via optical into the D1 with my OPA2111 main opamp, AD8397 x2 as buffers and AD8656 in the DAC will still kill it).

I can buy a 6G classic for the price of iModding my 5.5G, and that does make it a hard choice.

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #154 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_M3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking about getting the 5.5G with the Red Wine Mod. I would prefer the Classic with a MOVE amp....any ideas as to the better bet?

-Nate

If you don't already have an ipod 5.5G, the 6G with a MOVE is probably a better purchase. For me it was deciding on whether to drop $250 to iMod my 5.5G 80gb, or buy a $349 160gb classic.

Since I already have 5 or 6 amps, lost count, and I have a 30gb 5G video and 80gb 5.5G video (plus a 1G 2gb, 2G 8gb, 3G 8gb nano and a 16gb Touch), I felt I could spare getting the 5.5G iModded (instead of buying an iRiver for optical everytime one of mine dies).

[okay amp count, 2 penguinamp, 1 jseaber, 1 RSA tomahawk, 1 iBasso D1, 1 headstage lyrix usb total, 1 HEADSIX, and 1 creative X-fi mod usb = 8 amps]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back