iPod Classic stomps all over 5th gen
Oct 7, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #121 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blaine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not for the first time on these forums, you are talking total rubbish.

All I've done is ask for proof, if that's "talking total rubbish" then I guess I can't change your opinion. Lets look at that article, I'll remove all the text that's just speculation and padding out the text for you...

Quote:

This week photographs have been posted of a disassembled iPod Classic, revealing it has no Wolfson audio chip, using chips from American rival Cirrus Logic.

This is incorrect. The photos do not show a Cirrus Logic part. I've looked at them. Show me a photo of a Classic motherboard with a visible Cirrus Logic DAC and I'll happily agree with you.

Quote:

A spokesman for Wolfson said the firm was unable to comment on the actions of Apple. However, it is understood it has no plans to downgrade its sales expectations, expected to be a record $63-$68 million (£31m-£33.4m). Wolfson's shares have more than halved in value since a year ago, after a worldwide slowdown in the sale of consumer products."

Read that first sentence. Wolfson made no comment. Since there does not appear to be any photographic evidence and Wolfson has said nothing then who has confirmed the new DAC? Apple? Cirrus Logic? Why then has there not been a single news article quoting this?

Insult me all you want but if you show the slightest bit of proof then I'll agree. I couldn't care less who makes the DAC but the assumptions currently being thrown around have zero foundation.

Oct 8, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #122 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's rumored that Apple went back to Synaptics touch pads for the Classic. The 5G/5.5G model pads were supposedly made directly by Apple. This is based on news articles though just like the DAC info so it could all very well be wrong.

Well, that would confirm my experience then. I love when people say "How do you know it's different?" And then I would usually respond with something like, "Because I'm not a moron, and I can see the difference on the screen."

I just listened to my buddy's Zen Vision W, and while it had better sound than the 5g, it did not beat out the Classic.

I was also quite impressed listening to his iBassso T2. For the size, it's an incredible little amp with lots of features. It does not beat my Go-Vibe V7 Max, but its only 1/4 the size.

And the two of you, stop arguing please. Whatever change Apple made, it was obviously for the best. The Classic sounds much better than the 5g did.

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #124 of 154
It certainly stomps all over everything cept the Zune 80.

Oct 15, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #125 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6) ...Cover flow only has a white background, when obviously it looks better in iTunes with the black background. Also, if you have some non-square shaped album art, cover flow on the iPod will turn it into a square anyway by zooming in on one section of it. An example of this is my Steely Dan box set. It is a rectangle, which in iTunes it displays perfectly on cover flow. But on the iPod it does not.

7) If you back out of your "Now Playing" screen to do anything, you really need to go back to the words "Now Playing" from the main menu. Otherwise, if you click on the album to get back into the Now Playing screen, it pulls up the song menu. If you happen to have forgotten what the song name is that you are listening to, you're screwed, as it will start to play whatever song you select, unless of course you choose the song you are listening to. This is just an extra step that isn't very user friendly.

Thanks, that's all good information. I am surprised to here the iPod touch has these differences from the iPhone.

On the iPhone cover-flow has a black background and irregularly shaped cover art remains correctly shaped against black.

When you flip into album list view, there is a blue triangle next to the playing/paused song.

Maybe an update will correct the differences between touch and iphone.

Oct 16, 2007 at 9:03 AM Post #126 of 154
I have always said (okay, since 3G nano and touch came out) that with dock line out I can hear a bigger improvement in my Touch and 3G nano sound stage than I did with the classic.

I wonder if apple went in the wrong direction? Wont matter to me because I am saving for an iMod job on my 80gb 5.5 - have the amp and dock, just waitng for the lottery...

Oct 16, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #127 of 154
Unless the Classic changes character as it breaks in, my first impression with Grados (which I know well, strengths and limitations) in the store was that the Classic was not for me. A bit flat in terms of space, bright from midrange on up, and "ungraceful" in the midrange and treble. I'm a tube lover for that reason... accurate tubes, not stereotypical tubes.

I did like the touch and iPhone (which I couldn't tell apart), and the Nano came close. Not a review, but an impression. I plan to buy as soon as the iPhone goes 16GB.

I had read criticism about the Classic in other threads, but I don't tend to be influenced, except to be prompted to listen for myself.

If your phones are a bit dark, then I can see finding the Classic to be the ticket. I suppose I should test with my E500s which I find dark without EQ.

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #128 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless the Classic changes character as it breaks in, my first impression with Grados (which I know well, strengths and limitations) in the store was that the Classic was not for me. A bit flat in terms of space, bright from midrange on up, and "ungraceful" in the midrange and treble. I'm a tube lover for that reason... accurate tubes, not stereotypical tubes.

I did like the tough and iPhone (which I couldn't tell apart), and the Nano came close. Not a review, but an impression. I plan to buy as soon as the iPhone goes 16GB.

I had read criticism about the Classic in other threads, but I don't tend to be influenced, except to be prompted to listen for myself.

If your phones are a bit dark, then I can see finding the Classic to be the ticket. I suppose I should test with my E500s which I find dark without EQ.

We both agree, that the Classic is not for us, and that the touch sounds better (similar to nano). I have heard this from others after I posted this a month back in a classic DAC problem thread. This is why I didn't buy a classic but am iModding my 5.5G 80gb instead.

Maybe the Wolfson DAC is better afterall?

Oct 16, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #129 of 154
Ungraceful!

I don't use LOL often, but I'll make an exception in this case.

See ya
Steve

P.S. "accurate tubes" is a close second

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #130 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We both agree, that the Classic is not for us, and that the touch sounds better (similar to nano). I have heard this from others after I posted this a month back in a classic DAC problem thread. This is why I didn't buy a classic but am iModding my 5.5G 80gb instead.

Maybe the Wolfson DAC is better afterall?

I have read too many negative reports on the iPod Classic 160GB in too many places. My $100 iPhone credit was burning a hole in my pocket so I just spent it on Leopard. I'm waiting on the next generation iPod or until next summer whichever comes first. I'm hoping for a 160GB or better iTouch. (...we can always hope)

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #131 of 154
To hell with the negative reports.
tongue.gif
For $250, it sounds great. For $350, it's a toss up.

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #132 of 154
I've still got no complaints about the sound of the Classic's line output. Sounds fine to me. I have never listened to it's headphone out, and I probably never will.

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #133 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've still got no complaints about the sound of the Classic's line output. Sounds fine to me. I have never listened to it's headphone out, and I probably never will.

We have everything from people saying it sounds like ass (myself included) to it's a paragon of iPod sound excellence. I wonder what accounts for such a huge disparity of opinions with the same model. Can people's ears really be that different?

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #134 of 154
I'm not sure what to attribute that to, either. This is just IMO of course, and I don't think it sounds as good as either my 4G or 5G IMOD iPods. But used via the line out with a good headphone amp, the sound is quite good IMO. I can't say if it's as good as the stock 4G or 5G, since mine aren't stock. But taken on it's own, it sounds fine, no better or worse than I expect from an unmodded iPod, which is to say, far better than it has any right to sound.

And people's ears are certainly different, but so are their other gear
wink.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #135 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by markopolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We have everything from people saying it sounds like ass (myself included) to it's a paragon of iPod sound excellence. I wonder what accounts for such a huge disparity of opinions with the same model. Can people's ears really be that different?

I know I'm not one who said it sounds like *****
wink.gif
but I have noticed that when I switch an iPod from headphone to line out I get a bigger improvement with the 5.5G, 1-3G nano and Touch than when I did that with a friend's Classic.

The biggest improvement I get is smoother and less dark highs on the 5.5G, and better soundstage with all of them. But, I just don't think the soundstage on the Classic was quite as wide as with my 5.5 or other ipods cia LOD.

Now with the addition of an ALO Jumbo X cryo silver dock I am seeing a lot more bass from line out as well as better soundstage. I'll need to try the new LOD with my friend's classic and compare - I never thought a cable would make that much difference till I heard this one. Now I can't bear to go back the Senstation Pocket dock again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back