iPod Classic sound quality
Jul 18, 2011 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

F16-4444

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone

I'm interested to buy a high capacity player to carry all of my music with me

iPod Classic seems like a good player; I'm however curious about the sound quality of this player. If sound quality is not good, then I'd rather get a Sony Walkman although they dont have much storage capacity

Any thoughts on iPod Classic's sound quality?

Thank you

Jul 19, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 21
The 2009 ipod classic 160gb 7th gen has a highly compromised sound through the headphone-out. The weakest on-board amp i have ever encountered in a dap. They even struggle to drive the highly efficient IE8 at max volume. It seems they have got a treble spike somehow to the frequency response which hurts my ear. Its not even worth describing the other aspects of it related to the sound quality. I use it through the line-out to my graham slee voyager or for portability use the cheap fiio E1. Atleast the fiio solves the problem somewhat for me. Otherwise i will settle with my iphone 1st gen to listen through the hpo. Much better sound than the ipod classic hpo. But strangely there's hardly any difference between the two through the line-out. I find the ipod classic to be desirable only for its line-out. Don't know how the cowon X7 sounds.. 

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 21
There's a long thread somewhere about 2009 (MC297) iPod Classic. It remained unchanged in 2010 so everything said in that thread still applies. Many opinions there. Search for 2009 Classic sq.

In my humble opinion it is a great performer. What keeps it a step behind iPhone 4 is its output impedance but that only would be a issue with very few multidriver iems with low and wildly distributed impedance (e.g.TF10,JH13)

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 21
Yes frustrating that the iPod classic hasn't been updated in too long.
I would suggest waiting to buy until the apple event in September which will introduce the iPhone 5 and most likely new iPods as well. Not sure the iPod classic will be updated but it's been too long.

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 21
If you pair iPod with AMPs through line-out dock then it is fantastic MP3 Player. But few others DAPs are better sounding through HP jack with low capacity like Sony X1060, HM-601, HM-602, S:Flo 2, J3 and higher capacity X7(120GB, 160GB).

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
If you pair iPod with AMPs through line-out dock then it is fantastic MP3 Player. But few others DAPs are better sounding through HP jack with low capacity like Sony X1060, HM-601, HM-602, S:Flo 2, J3 and higher capacity X7(120GB, 160GB).

That assertion is quite debatable to say the least. I fail to see how some dap with an output impedance of 18 Ohms can drive remotely good any multidriver iem.

The current iPod Classic with an amp is fantastic and without it is very good (and would be awesome with a custom eq and a less than 5 Ohm of impedance out). But as it comes is very competent. I'm sorry but i can not buy the myths that surround the ipod Classic model.

Just my 0.02

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
elfary can you confirm what is the model number of your classic printed on the back side. Mine is A1238.

a1238 at the back and on the box the MC297. Or easier: i have the thin 160 Gb model.

Do you have an european capped model ? Do you know the frequency response of the IE8 ? May be it has something to do with what you hear since the classic does not roll off frequencies with low impedacen dynamic iems.

Otherwise i find hard to believe we are talking about the same device

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:43 AM Post #10 of 21
No mine is not an European capped model i suppose and it is the thin 160gb classic that is manufactured in April 2010 as the box says. It is MC293HN/A on the box. I still can't believe Apple would do business with such a lousy amp in their classic ipod. 

Jul 21, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
No mine is not an European capped model i suppose and it is the thin 160gb classic that is manufactured in April 2010 as the box says. It is MC293HN/A on the box. I still can't believe Apple would do business with such a lousy amp in their classic ipod. 

May be your unit is deffective. If you have the chance to try another unit that might rule it out. Otherwise i dunno.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #13 of 21
Yeah, you may want to try out other ipod classics to compare.

My 80gb ipod's headphone out sounds pretty good despite what people have said about its weak onboard amp. I have been comparing between the HPO vs. LOD+PA2V2 for a couple days and can hardly hear the difference, very subtle cleaner sound.

Jul 21, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #14 of 21
Then i hope its an unfortunate quality control issue with Apple products 
confused.gif

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #15 of 21
I have the european version and the headphone output is very weak! if i'm running or walking also in a quiet road I can hardly hear the music...I've tried to put usa firmware not really a good improvement. So now I am waiting on a lod cable and amp, I am just new to this world. I have an old Nano 2Gb and after gopod volume it's incredible...I tell this not cause I want to damage my ears, but cause I would like to hear low volume music with quality. On the other side us classic version doesn't seem to have any issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back