iPod Classic reliability issues?
Jul 13, 2008 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

penger

500+ Head-Fier
I've had my Classic 160gb for 4 months and had the hdd essentially fail on me. Got a new one from the Apple store under warranty, but just wondering if other people seem to be having issues with this as well.

My roommate also happens to have the same Classic 160gb, and he also had his iPod replaced under warranty at around 6 months. Also wondering if this issues is unique to the new Classic, seeing as I have other friends with the older generation models, and they have had little to no problems to date.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #6 of 25
i'm gonna have to think about purchasing an extended warranty for my ipod classic.

several years ago, my friend and i both bought the ipod photos in the same week (but from different stores). mine died exactly 3 days after the warranty expired, and my friend's died 4 days after the warranty expired. but then my bro's ipod mini has been working fine for several years.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #7 of 25
remember the ipod is build to last 'four' years. haha, i remember that quote that everyone effed up. as if the reporters could not tell by intention that 'four' was actual 'for'. my friend had his 3g forever but just ended up upgrading to 5g and then to an archos for video. both 5 and 3g still are perfectly working. my gf nano is fine and my mates 4g is blasting away on half power battery.

Jul 14, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #8 of 25
why would shigzeo waffle on about ipod 3 and 5 g's, the thread is about classics.

of course though, we know there can't be ANY mention deleterious to ipods in ANY way, shape or form, without him letting everyone know apple is the new messiah.

I have a 1g nano that is still going strong, however the thread isn't about those.

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 25
I have 160GB Ipod classic. This is my second one as i exchanged the first one.

The hd on the first one was grinding whenever it was searching or starting a function. I even went Apple store and the display one had the same noise, but not grinding. So the second one i have now is much better in term of noise.

Since Ipod classic is hd based, I think it's just hit and miss. Hard drive may fail in short time of usage. I don't want to give it up and decide to keep it. Now, i'm thinking of buying extended warranty just to be safe. I don't think it lasts forever, but must be in good shape for several years at least.

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #11 of 25
iLounge has many threads in the forums dedicated to the classic HD failures as well as the volume issue (lowering vol to 0 and still having sound through HP).

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBeanPaste /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you should take care of it better. The HDD in ipods are very fragile so a drop could break the HDD

I don't see where anyone in this thread stated that they abused their iPod, let alone dropped it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back