IPod classic question
Jul 20, 2010 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Shark50521

100+ Head-Fier
So I just got a 7th gen Ipod classic and what I want to do is be able to carry that as opposed to cds in my car. I have an fm transmitter but am bitterly disappointed with the sound quality of music on it, podcasts sound ok, but music is horrid. Would getting a LOD help with this at all or should I be looking at just wiring up an aux jack to my car as it currently doesn't have one.

Jul 20, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 4
Your music will sound horrible through an FM transmitter, even if your ipod files are high bitrate or apple lossless, and even if you have a better sounding car stereo.  In my opinion the FM transmitter is an absolute no-go for music, as you have discovered yourself - it doesn't even take a good ear to notice the severe degradation in sound quality.  You should definitely pipe your audio directly in using an auxiliary input, which it sounds like your car does not have in the obvious dashboard area location.

You should see if your car's (I'm assuming you have the factory head unit in your car) head unit has an auxiliary input in the back, or if you can get a harness adapter on crutchfield that will let you pipe your iphone signal in through either a line out dock or from the headphone jack.  Check on line for your car/stereo model.  Most newer car stereos have some way of bringing in external audio - this will be your cheapest option to get decent sound out of your ipod in the car.

If you end up upgrading your car stereo, there's nice head units that actually use a data connection with the ipod and do all of the audio processing internally - some of these can get expensive but also will sound really good - potentially much better than from the headphone jack or line out dock.  I have a kenwood excelon deck that cost about $200 which does this and it sounds pretty amazing plus provides full controls for the ipod.

Good luck!

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 4
I know of a way to hack in an aux jack for 3 dollars it just won't be as clean or professional as the more expensive option of just having one put in. I am thinking of getting an Ipod specific one as I would like to continue to control it through my steering wheel controls for the Ipod, thanks for the advice so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back