iPod Classic LOD vs iPhone 3G S HP ?
Oct 3, 2009 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

elfary

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm in doubt these days and i need help from wise headfier's...I've been enjoying for more than a year an iPod Classic amped through LOD. I found its sound very respectable and clean. And i love the chance of having all my discography at the palm of my hand literally anywhere at any moment.

I've sold it to get the new 160 Classic but in between i've been surviving with my wife iPod Touch whose interface is damn ****ing amazing...but i think i'll never buy a Touch existing the iPhone whose through the HP out is being highly praised here.

THe problem is that to buy an iPhone you've got to sign a 18months data contract which makes me sick...because i hate this kind of policies by the big mobile corporations but i might do it if its sound HP out happens to be better than the one of an iPod Classic amped via LOD.

so...SQ wise iPod Classic amped via LOD is at least comparable to the SQ of an iPhone Headphone Out ?

Note: Amping the iPhone is not an option. I don't want to amp a cellphone. RF noise, hassle and killing the convenience of the iPhone

IN the end

Oct 4, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 7
I have the old 160GB classic which they phased out only to bring back and it is no contest. My 3Gs blows it out of the water. But the new 160GBs may be better. And don't get me wrong the old classic has a nice sound and a good line out but the iPhone headphone out is extremely crisp and robust. No need to tether an amp. I really could not be happier with the sound, and it may just be that it suits my tastes.

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 7
Tomorrow i will be getting a 2009 iPod Classic unit.

I will try it for a few days and i will post if there is any sound difference with the 2008 unit that i had.

Pretty surprinsingly the new 160 Classic is being praised and regarded as a leap forward in SQ. I think that nobody expected nothing from it (Aside of the bigger capacity).

If this leap forward turns out to be for real i think the deal is awesome 249 bucks for 160 gigs and improved SQ. Let's see what is the opinion of the new buyers. So far i'm really surprised with the posts of the 09 Classic owners.

Oct 5, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm syncing my library of 549 albums (aac 320 and some apple lossless for testing) to the brand new 2009 ipod classic 160.The syncing is being bit of a mess because of the new version of itunes but finally it's syncing.

Tomorrow night i think that i will be able to post my first impressions about it's sound quality in comparison with the 2008 Classic 120. Panagea, i can't compare with the 2007 Classic 160 since i did not have it.

If i catch some difference with last year's 120 my surprise will be bigger than the storage capacity of the Classic.

Oct 6, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 7
I think it sounds more natural and open than last year's Classic 120. Both through LOD and HP.

My 2 cents. I'm quite impressed by the improvement since it has not been marketed in anyway and everybody assumed that it must sound the same than previous years classics. Well, it does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back