ipod classic line out vs Ipod touch
Jul 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

musicbased

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering about the sound quality from the line out of either ipod touch 4th gen or ipod classic 6th gen 160gb.
I would like the extra storage of the classic, but I read that the classic has a not very good headphone out.
However, if i use it with an amp from the line out it should be fine right?
The line out signal is the same on all ipods isn't it?-Or are some better than others? ....

Jul 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Just wondering about the sound quality from the line out of either iPod touch 4th gen or iPod classic 6th gen 160gb.
I would like the extra storage of the classic, but I read that the classic has a not very good headphone out.
However, if i use it with an amp from the line out it should be fine right?
The line out signal is the same on all iPods isn't it?-Or are some better than others? ....

Do you need to stick to Apple portable audio players?

Something like the Fiio E11 ($60) portable headphone amplifier can connect to the IPod Classics LOD analog output port, using a $10 cable.

Using the LOD (line-out port) of a portable apple product bypass the Apple product's internal headphone amplifier.

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks. Well it's just I've got a line out cable already for iPhone/iPod,and 160gb is perfect for me.
I'm looking at the arrow 4g or jds labs c5.
So if I just use the line out from the ipod classic,The sound quality is unchanged before the amp and iPod sq is out of the equation?

Jul 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Thanks. Well it's just I've got a line out cable already for iPhone/iPod,and 160gb is perfect for me.
I'm looking at the arrow 4g or jds labs c5.
So if I just use the line out from the iPod classic, The sound quality is unchanged before the amp and iPod sq is out of the equation?

I would assume the pre-amp LOD (line out) port signal is close to the same audio quality for what Apple products we have been talking about.
But I'm not an Apple expert, so not my place to guarrantee anything Apple.

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Ok great,thank you very much.
So,rather than an Apple product,what would you recommend as a portable source going to an amp?

Depending on the headphones you use, you might not have a need for an add-on portable headphone amplifier.
What headphones are you using or are planning to get?

The Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip 4GB (portable audio player) sells for $35-$40 and you can add micro-SD memory cards to it.
A 32GB micro-SD memory card can sell for $25
My JVC HA-S500-Z (Gunmetal Gray) folding headphones work fine plugged straight into the Clip Zip.

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 8
Basically, I have the Etymotic ER4s, and would like to add a bit more bass, which is why i'm looking at amps with bass boost. I am pretty much settled on the ER4s, as i really love the detail and sound signature, but sometimes, if i'm listening to EDM, i would like to add a bit more sub bass.
Most of the time, i like a 'neutral' sound, but with the option of a good bass boost.

Do you think the ipod line out to jds c5/arrow is a good option for that?

Ive read a lot about the clip with interest, but i'm not sure if it would be suitable for my requirements..Obviously it would be slightly cheaper!

Jul 6, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Basically, I have the Etymotic ER4s, and would like to add a bit more bass, which is why I'm looking at amps with bass boost. I am pretty much settled on the ER4s, as i really love the detail and sound signature, but sometimes, if I'm listening to EDM, i would like to add a bit more sub bass.
Most of the time, i like a 'neutral' sound, but with the option of a good bass boost.

Do you think the iPod line out to JDS Labs c5/arrow is a good option for that?
I've read a lot about the clip with interest, but i'm not sure if it would be suitable for my requirements..Obviously it would be slightly cheaper!

I'm not familar with the JDS Labs C5, but I would think it give you the bass boost your looking for.

Unless you use iTunes and just happen to like using Apple audio players.
You might look into spending the budget you had for a iPod and amp. and just buy a really nice mp3 player (with built in bass boost)
Make things easier instead of carrying around two devices.

Try posting your questions on the website Anythingbutipod.

Post on anythingbutipod whatever budget you had and see what people on that website come up with.
You can always buy the iPod & C5 if nothing better is offered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back