iPod Classic issues - Selling with music files loaded
Oct 21, 2012 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

texastrader

New Head-Fier
Okay, I posted this in the wrong section, so reposting here...

I have an iPod Classic that I'm using as my primary source, connected through a Cambridge Audio ID-100. I'm thinking about listing my whole setup in the classifieds, but I need to know if I can sell the iPod too. It's loaded with about 15,000 MP3, ALAC and other lossless music files, which I know are worth a great deal, but I obviously can't ask $10K for this iPod!

Any advice on selling a fully loaded iPod in the classifieds? I know there are some touchy copyright issues, but it seems like if I "own" the music on the iPod I should be able to sell it, right? What would something like this likely be worth?

Thanks for your advice!

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #3 of 14
You would have another issue, you can only use 1 itunes account per ipod/iphone so whoever buys it cannot delete/add/change anything on the ipod without restoring it (deleting everything on the ipod).

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 14
alv4426 - I agree and that would be true if these were all iTunes songs, but only about 500 of them are. Everything else is 'open source' if that makes any sense. Most songs are from CDs I've ripped, or files from somewhere else.

Doesn't that negate the iTunes problem?

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #5 of 14
Im no expert, but AFAIK any music that has been uploaded using your itunes account belongs to that account. Whoever buys the ipod would           have to/want to be able to use their own account but doing so would require the deletion of everything on the ipod in order to "register" it to their own account. But again Im no expert but I have had to go through this process before.

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks. I guess I could include a separate HDD with all the music files in the sale. At least that way someone could start with a clean iPod and upload the files from the 2.5" HDD. Mostly I'd just like to able to get a better price for it by including all the music I've accumulated over the years.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 14
If you sell the ipod with the intention to also profit off the music that's on it would be the same as burning a disc and selling it. It would fall in the copyright infringement.
Best thing to do is to a restore it and then sell it...

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #8 of 14
I have bought iRivers with music on them. The price was the same as one without and each time I was asked if I wanted the unit wiped. I had them leave the music just to hear what someone else liked. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks all for your advice on this. Actually, I'm selling the iPad in a package deal with the rest of my system and I will give the music away for free, as part of the deal. I'll even send a seperate HDD with the files if the buyer so desires. I don't think I'm breaking any laws by doing this, as I'm not profiting from the music files.

Anyway, we'll see. Maybe I'll modify the ad to make it clear that the music files are being given away for free. Thanks again!

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #11 of 14
I suppose that would be OK if you have no other copy of your music (files or CDs/records/whatever) and if you rightfully own all of your content (i.e. you lawfully purchased it all in one form or another). If you do have another copy, or if you didn't pay for some of your files, then it's like file sharing, that's illegal (with copyrighted content anyway).

Edit: you can't transfer ownership of iTunes Music Store files in any case, that would be against the terms of service that you agreed to.

Giving out your music for free won't gain you anything, why risk it?

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
Thanks all for your advice on this. Actually, I'm selling the iPad in a package deal with the rest of my system and I will give the music away for free, as part of the deal. I'll even send a seperate HDD with the files if the buyer so desires. I don't think I'm breaking any laws by doing this, as I'm not profiting from the music files.

Anyway, we'll see. Maybe I'll modify the ad to make it clear that the music files are being given away for free. Thanks again!

Legally you can not sell the music files on your iPod to someone else, unless you had music CDs for all the music on your iPod and included the CDs in the sale.
If you do not talk about the music files on the iPod in your ad, how would the RIAA know what was on the iPod.

Oct 22, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #13 of 14
You're not actually giving them away.  You're selling them with everything else.  Honestly I don't care what you do but what you're doing could land you in a huge world of legal hurt.  The RIAA is happy to go after people's grandmothers who had no idea someone was using their computer to do something illegal (and what you're doing is illegal) so ignore our advice at your own personal risk.  Unfortunately there is no way to do what you're trying to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back