iPod Classic issues resolved?
Oct 27, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 26
Not all - they fixed up some of the menu lag issues, fixed the playcount problems, and took compilation artists out of the artists menu. And gave one of the purchasable games a proper icon...

Unresolved are the iTunes 100% CPU usage freezes, some photos not showing up properly, the battery draining itself while the iPod is turned off (seemingly introduced by the last update), the random pausing of playback if you use docks, erratic playback of some mp3 files that played fine with the previous generation iPod, and a handful of other interface issues of more trivial nature. Note that according to another thread started about this, it seems most people here were very happy with their iPod Classics, but these problems are very widespread if you read the forums.

Oct 28, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prozakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope Sam's Club still has some 5.5g 80GB's left late next month then!

Thanks.

Everyone isn't experiencing problems though. The bugs do exist, but some people haven't had any problems with the 6th generation iPods.

I would buy from a store with a decent return policy just in case. Going with the 5.5 generation is a bit excessive in my opinion, but it's your choice.

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 26
Despite everyone saying to do so, I haven't returned mine hoping that the biggest faults will actually be fixed. They are obviously firmware related, but Apple is exceedingly slow to fix things this time. The biggest problem to me is the iTunes freeze, as this slows my computer down for half an hour, every time I want to add an album to the iPod.

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:04 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Despite everyone saying to do so, I haven't returned mine hoping that the biggest faults will actually be fixed. They are obviously firmware related, but Apple is exceedingly slow to fix things this time. The biggest problem to me is the iTunes freeze, as this slows my computer down for half an hour, every time I want to add an album to the iPod.

Doesn't really say buy a 6G rather than a 5.5G!
blink.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Not all - they fixed up some of the menu lag issues, fixed the playcount problems, and took compilation artists out of the artists menu. And gave one of the purchasable games a proper icon....

More garbage I noticed:

--- Battery drains for no reason to the point where it's completely dead

--- If you have your albums set in iTunes for "Compilation: Yes", all those albums will be placed after all your albums from A-Z in Cover Flow. This was a total pain in the butt and I had to go fix 25% of my albums' info. And you have to write those albums down by hand on a piece of paper so you remember which ones they are, since you can't flip through Cover Flow on your iPod when it's plugged into your computer.

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prozakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't really say buy a 6G rather than a 5.5G!
blink.gif

It doesn't really...
Best advice though is still to try a classic, and see if it works for you. You may never be plagued with these problems, but if you are, return it fast.

Oct 28, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More garbage I noticed:

--- Battery drains for no reason to the point where it's completely dead

--- If you have your albums set in iTunes for "Compilation: Yes", all those albums will be placed after all your albums from A-Z in Cover Flow. This was a total pain in the butt and I had to go fix 25% of my albums' info. And you have to write those albums down by hand on a piece of paper so you remember which ones they are, since you can't flip through Cover Flow on your iPod when it's plugged into your computer.

Thanks for this explanation!!!
keegan.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

It doesn't really...
Best advice though is still to try a classic, and see if it works for you. You may never be plagued with these problems, but if you are, return it fast.

Knowing my luck, I don't want to take a chance.

Nov 28, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #12 of 26
I'm curious too. Are they 100% functional yet?

Nov 28, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #13 of 26
I have been using 160gb classic for months now, actually I bought mine when they came out. I have used lineout mostly, but also few times headphoneout, and the only problem that i have noticed is that playlists are slow when you have your iPod nearly full and like 40 playlists. But overall, I have enjoyed it really, its much nicer than my old 5.5g 80gb so go for it..
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 4:41 AM Post #14 of 26
I haven't had any problems with my classic other than the slow menus when the hard drive spins up.

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #15 of 26
iPod Classic firmware 1.0.3. was released a few days ago, and from what I read on iLounge, it fixes numerous bugs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back