IPOD Classic & IPOD Touch 2G - similar sounding ?
Jan 31, 2009 at 12:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Buckster

100+ Head-Fier
I was all for getting an IPOD Touch 2G

but then I read in a few places that it uses the "apparent" new Cirrus DAC/chipset rather than the older Wolfson one in the 1G which was similar to those in the IPOD Video 5.5G etc

just I had a IPOD Classic and I really didn't like the sound of it - much preferred the older IPOD Video 5.5G - so if the new Touch uses the same chipset then that is of worry

thanks, MArk.

Feb 1, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was all for getting an IPOD Touch 2G

but then I read in a few places that it uses the "apparent" new Cirrus DAC/chipset rather than the older Wolfson one in the 1G which was similar to those in the IPOD Video 5.5G etc

just I had a IPOD Classic and I really didn't like the sound of it - much preferred the older IPOD Video 5.5G - so if the new Touch uses the same chipset then that is of worry

thanks, MArk.

the touch 2G uses a wolfston DAC, same as 5.5G, iphone3G not the same wolfston DAC, but similar sounding. I prefer 5.5G to classic too

Feb 1, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both and I prefer the touch 2g myself.

So do I
L3000.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 15
How can you tell a difference between Ipod classic and Ipod touch 2nd generation. They do both have the same audio dac cirrus the only difference
there might be is one has a hard drive that might be slightly noisey
thats it and I have both and compared them

Feb 1, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericwatson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you tell a difference between Ipod classic and Ipod touch 2nd generation. They do both have the same audio dac cirrus the only difference
there might be is one has a hard drive that might be slightly noisey
thats it and I have both and compared them

No, the touch 2g has the same wolfson codec as the iphone 3g. It has a "weird" wolfson # and I can't find any info on it.

From ifixit

APPLE 338S0506 is a Wolfson WM6180C (We haven't seen Wolfson disguise their chips like this before).

Feb 1, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 15
still haven't had chance to try it out yet ! lol

thanks for your reply

one quick query though I know the 3g IPhone definately uses the "weird wolfson" - but I can't find any reference to the 2G using the same codec ?

where I read everywhere says it uses the Cirrus Logic one - but I have no idea whether those views are valid or not

cheers, Mark.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the touch 2g has the same wolfson codec as the iphone 3g. It has a "weird" wolfson # and I can't find any info on it.

From ifixit

APPLE 338S0506 is a Wolfson WM6180C (We haven't seen Wolfson disguise their chips like this before).

Feb 2, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

I read somewhere that all the new Ipods incuding the touch use the Cirrus Dac not the wolfson

AFAIK you read wrong. there is mixed reports on this because of their being no marking I imagine. but AFAIK the classic and nano are the only ones with a cirrus logic chip. Of course I'm open to being wrong. I would think Ifixit would have a good idea though since they actually tend to open things up to identify them

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #12 of 15
IFIXIT did not list the parts inside the 2G Touch though only the 3G Iphone so we have no idea whether it uses the same DAC unfortunately

you would be able to tell on the photo on their website but there seems to be a sticker over the DAC
frown.gif

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AFAIK you read wrong. there is mixed reports on this because of their being no marking I imagine. but AFAIK the classic and nano are the only ones with a cirrus logic chip. Of course I'm open to being wrong. I would think Ifixit would have a good idea though since they actually tend to open things up to identify them

What is AFAIK and why do you refer to me with this AFAIK and also IPOD touch
1st generation was the one with wolfson dac the IPOD Touch 2nd generation
has the cirrus DAC.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IFIXIT did not list the parts inside the 2G Touch though only the 3G Iphone so we have no idea whether it uses the same DAC unfortunately

you would be able to tell on the photo on their website but there seems to be a sticker over the DAC
frown.gif

By God he's right, On the touch 2g teardown you can't see the markings on the codec chip. Only way to know is to see if that apple chip matches the # in the 3g iphone- or someone to compare the sound of the touch 2g to an iphone 3g. I still think the touch 2g sounds better than the classic, but it could be an updated cirrus logic chip or something else. Anyone want to open their touch 2g to get the chip #
biggrin.gif
I'd like to know what you think of the sound Buckster.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

What is AFAIK and why do you refer to me with this AFAIK and also IPOD touch
1st generation was the one with wolfson dac the IPOD Touch 2nd generation
has the cirrus DAC.

As Far AS I Know = AFAIK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back