iPod Classic / iPhone 4s - Worth replacing and options
Dec 14, 2012 at 12:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Portable Mink

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I currently own an 80gb iPod Classic and iPhone 4s.

Im thinking that its time for an upgrade. My plan is to get some 1964EARS V3 IEM's, and as such, im trying to learn about source gear and whether there is much difference in providing a clean source for my new IEM's to take the most advantage of.

Can anyone point me in the direction of how i can best teach myself they key requirements around what a DAP can provide, which is available out there at the moment that would most benefit my setup and whether it is worth upgrading my gear for a couple of % or whether im well off the mark currently with my apple devices?

Willing to spend up to 300 if its really worth it, but if its not, id like to know that too and why.

cheers,
Mink.

Dec 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
should i just rockbox my classic?

is that as good as it gets without wasting money going from the classic to the touch?

The answer is definitely yes if you have not tried it yet. I have the iphone 4s (got the 64gb thinking for my portable music) but I instantly lost interested in it the moment I plugged in my EX1000 to my rockboxed ipod 5g/30GB. Make sure you feed it with the lossless if you have not done this yet. To me the sound dynamic range, 3D imaging and clarity (details) have all been noticeably improved. Now I am planning to diymod one of my ipods to experience the changes that will be brought to these ears.

Personally I believe the synergy is much more important than upgrading any single component. It's like married couples - some get divorced because they don't match with each other but they are great individuals.
wink_face.gif

Dec 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 6
thanks heaps for your reply!
ok i need to get my head around all the presets and the EQ in rockbox to figure out how to optimise what i hear from it.
i guess that just comes with playing with it, as ive never really used an EQ in conjunction with high end equipment to get things sounding crispy clear.

any quick tips for how to meddle with the settings?

Dec 19, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 6
Try to listen without EQ's on. EQ's are not for everyone and also it depends on specific phones. Theoretically software-based EQ's will introduce some level of distortions. That doesn't necessarily mean everyone can hear them. Read the RB manual, search the forum if you are interested in the EQ's. Again EQ's are headphones/IEM's specific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back