iPod Classic in the house!
Sep 8, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #61 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILikeMusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume you mean one of the fixed EQ settings? I hate to ask because I think I already know the answer, but has Apple decided that its customers can handle the complexities of a custom EQ setting yet, or is this feature still missing?

There is the usual selection of EQ settings and they are the same as they have always been. There is also the option to turn EQ "off" essentially giving you no EQ applied. This is how I have been using the Classic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Night Surfer
Can you make the album art fill the screen?

Unfortunately not. I do wish it had a mode to just show the album art at full size while playing.

Sep 8, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #62 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is the usual selection of EQ settings and they are the same as they have always been...

Which is still bad I assume from what I read here about iPods?

Sep 8, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #63 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is still bad I assume from what I read here about iPods?

Yes, they boost rather than cut so they can introduce distortion by pushing the levels into the clipping region. Some of the settings are better than others and are okay if you really need some EQ but it isn't a substitute for a fully user defined EQ control. Occasionally I'll use treble booster or bass booster if a track is especially lacking but mostly I just leave it flat.

Sep 9, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #64 of 95
Isn't there an iTunes setting that plays the song/album according to what you have the equalizer set to in iTunes? In a roundabout way its kind of like a customizable EQ, except you'd have to EQ it in iTunes then sync the setting.

Sep 9, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #65 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, they boost rather than cut so they can introduce distortion by pushing the levels into the clipping region. Some of the settings are better than others and are okay if you really need some EQ but it isn't a substitute for a fully user defined EQ control. Occasionally I'll use treble booster or bass booster if a track is especially lacking but mostly I just leave it flat.

Can Rockbox add a 5-band (or more) custom EQ, or is this a hardware restriction in the iPods?

Sep 9, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #66 of 95
There isn't a Rockbox port for the iPod Classic. Also, if the Classic is anything like the 2G Nano then there probably won't be a Rockbox port at all.

Sep 9, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #67 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by rxc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There isn't a Rockbox port for the iPod Classic. Also, if the Classic is anything like the 2G Nano then there probably won't be a Rockbox port at all.

Does that mean that the earlier generation iPods can get custom EQ through Rockbox?

BTW, what is a Rockbox 'port'?

TIA

Sep 9, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #69 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by big_lou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does that mean that the earlier generation iPods can get custom EQ through Rockbox?

BTW, what is a Rockbox 'port'?

TIA

Yes, it does mean that. All iPods except 2G nanos and 6G iPods are rockboxable. It does give you an interface to a custom EQ, including the ability to change the hardware EQ. It's pretty great, it's the reason I use rockbox ... but its inefficient on the battery, you get about half the battery life.

Will the 6G's ever be rockboxable? Maybe, just no one has been able to crack them yet... and no ones been able to crack the 2G nanos either... and they've been out for a while.

Sep 9, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #70 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigmike34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't there an iTunes setting that plays the song/album according to what you have the equalizer set to in iTunes? In a roundabout way its kind of like a customizable EQ, except you'd have to EQ it in iTunes then sync the setting.

Yes, I believe that does work on all iPods. Fine if you know what EQ settings you want in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_lou

As gnychis said, this is correct. I did run Rockbox on my 4G iPod for a while and the custom EQ worked well. The only reason I stopped using Rockbox is that Apple Lossless playback wasn't especially good, it tended to skip quite a bit.

Sep 9, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #71 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnychis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it does mean that. All iPods except 2G nanos and 6G iPods are rockboxable. It does give you an interface to a custom EQ, including the ability to change the hardware EQ. It's pretty great, it's the reason I use rockbox ... but its inefficient on the battery, you get about half the battery life.

Will the 6G's ever be rockboxable? Maybe, just no one has been able to crack them yet... and no ones been able to crack the 2G nanos either... and they've been out for a while.

Looked for Rockbox builds for the 5G/5.5G iPod but the Rockbox site shows builds for 4th Gen Grayscale, iPod color/photo, iPod video 30GB, and iPod video 60/80 GB. Are the 5G/5.5G iPods the same as the photo or video iPods?

If not, then does this mean that the Rockbox build for the 5G/5.5G is still under development?

TIA again.

Sep 9, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #72 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by big_lou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looked for Rockbox builds for the 5G/5.5G iPod but the Rockbox site shows builds for 4th Gen Grayscale, iPod color/photo, iPod video 30GB, and iPod video 60/80 GB. Are the 5G/5.5G iPods the same as the photo or video iPods?

If not, then does this mean that the Rockbox build for the 5G/5.5G is still under development?

iPod video = 5G/5.5G

Make sure that you choose the correct build for the capacity of your player. There are separate builds for the 30 GB players and the 60/80 GB players. (The only difference between the two builds is that the latter takes advantage of the extra 32 MB of memory on the 60/80 GB models.)

Sep 9, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #73 of 95
Quote:

Yes, I believe that does work on all iPods. Fine if you know what EQ settings you want in advance.

No, the iTunes custom EQ setting is not transferred to the iPod. There is no way to get a custom EQ setting in a stock iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back