iPod Classic in the house!
Sep 7, 2007 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 95

mirumu

1000+ Head-Fier
Much to my surprise I arrived home to find a package sitting here. My 160GB iPod Classic has arrived three days ahead of the estimates. It shipped from Australia last night and in what appears to be the fastest international shipping I've yet seen. I'm currently loading my music library on to it, this is going to take a while.
biggrin.gif
In the meantime, here's some pics (apologies, the light in this room is terrible and my photography sucks).

In it's box, still in plastic wrap.
ipod_classic.jpg

Connecting it up to my Mac. Wow, that screen is bright and sharp.
ipod_classic_2.jpg

Hanging with it's 60GB 4G iPod photo relative.
ipod_classic_3.jpg

Needless to say, sound quality related impressions will follow. I'll find out if the dock connector is the same too although I expect it is from looking at it.

Sep 7, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 95
Woah, the box and the "eject" screen look way different now.

Thanks for the pics we always crave, and please update us on any thing that seems cool or geeky!
biggrin.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #3 of 95
Looks terrific! Here's hoping the SQ is improved once again.

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #5 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by BassheadJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks terrific! Here's hoping the SQ is improved once again.

Unfortunately I've not heard any of the 5G or 5.5G iPods to compare with. I have the 4G iPod Photo and I used to own a 2G iPod Nano which I sold because of the poor sound quality. I do have a Xin Supermacro IV to test the line out with which I will be doing in due time.

I keep all my music lossless and it's finished syncing track 626 of 1831. I'm just doing about 40GB worth for now, I'd like to start listening as soon as possible. The rest of my music can wait till later.
icon10.gif

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #6 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately I've not heard any of the 5G or 5.5G iPods to compare with. I have the 4G iPod Photo and I used to own a 2G iPod Nano which I sold because of the poor sound quality. I do have a Xin Supermacro IV to test the line out with which I will be doing in due time.

I keep all my music lossless and it's finished syncing track 626 of 1831. I'm just doing about 40GB worth for now, I'd like to start listening as soon as possible. The rest of my music can wait till later.
icon10.gif

awaiting impressions!

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 95
Come on! how does it sound already?

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #8 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bisco82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Come on! how does it sound already?

Synced track 1556 of 1831.

Impression #1: USB2 is slower than Firewire.
frown.gif

Impression #2: It doesn't get anywhere near as warm as the 4G iPod Photo while syncing.

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #10 of 95
I'm awaiting your sound impressions as well, this is the first I've found of someone owning one. I'm most likely buying the 80GB already but it'd be nice to know it sounds even better ;D

Thanks for writing this up.

Joseph

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #11 of 95
I have a nano. I also got the 80gb classic. But the clickwheel seems to be faulty. It's not very responsive. Sometimes it works smoothly, sometimes it doesnt.

Sep 7, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #15 of 95
Okay. This is all very rough, quick and unscientific but my initial impressions of the sound are promising. I'm listening out of the headphone jack with my Shure E500s. It doesn't have the bass roll-off of the 4G iPod Photo (to be expected really) and it also doesn't have the detail smearing I experienced from the more recent 2G iPod nano. This is definitely the best sounding iPod I have heard but I have to stress that I have never listened to the 5G or 5.5G iPod Video models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back