iPod Classic Freezing/Sync Problems
Feb 10, 2008 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Territhemayor

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I bought this iPod classic (160 Gb) right when it came out. I used it for a while and then just put it away for a long time, I think I just left it in my backpack and whenever I wanted to use it, it was out of battery. Fast forward a few months. So I bring it home this weekend to resetup my portable rig, and I plug it into my computer (windows xp) via usb and i get this screen that says "Connected" the under it, it says "Eject before disconnecting". It doesnt show up on my computer or in my itunes thing. It's impossible to get rid of that connected screen, if I unplug it nothing haappends, if I replug it nothing happends, etc. When it's plugged in, my itunes freezes up and goes does the same things as a normal "not responding" program. So I reset it, Once I do that the same thing happens, everything freezes up and doesn't go away until I unplug my ipod. After that, the iPod still is frozen but my itunes is fine now.

So I reset and try to go into disk mode. I get into it and when I plug ipod into the computer, it works! It shows up in itunes after a couple minutes and I update and restore it. It goes through the normal process, deletes all my stuff (I had maybe 50 gb of stuff on it, nothing crazy huge) and then I get the little progress bar under the apple logo. After that, i get a welcome screen that has a language choice. I click english and at this point, if the iPod is plugged into the computer, I'll get back to that connected screen. If it's not, I get to surf my iPod stuff normally, but there are no songs. If I go back into disk mode (after the reset, mind you) and try to sync, I can! But no songs will play. They just get stuck at 0 min 0 secs and nothing happends.

I cant find anything about this on the internet and I don't have an apple store readily available to me. Apple support isn't that good and I can't call them or chat with them.

I did the iPod diagnostics (by pressing back and select while it's booting up with the apple logo) and I do the automatic tests and everything is fine until the Accesorize screen where I can plug in USB but not Fire Wire becuase I don't have a firewire to dock adapter. If I go into manual diagnostic tests everything works fine, as far as I can tell.

I've seen that people have this problem with old updates have this problem, but I did update to the 1.1.1 or whatever it is now. I wish I could go to an older edition and reupdate becuase I don't think it worked properly, and whenever I try to update it again I just get "It's already at the current update" thing, etc. On the ipod itself, I can see it's 1.1.1 PC, but this is an old problem that occurs on old updates (everyone else who has had this problem had it fixed in the updates, but since mine was not being used, it may have had something to do with it) . Maybe that's the solution to my problem?

Can Anyone help me?
Thanks

Is this in the right thread btw?

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 13
From the sounds of it, call Apple and ask for a replacement. Don't let them fob them off with the RRR crap.

I had kind of similar problems, but it went away after a restore. This sounds a lot more serious, i think grounds to contact them.

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 13
How can I contact them? I don't have time to go to some stupid genius bar thing and I can't call them becuase I'm not like within the 90 days of ownership. Maybe I am, but I really dont think so.

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #4 of 13
before you contact them, try disconnecting the ipod from your computer, holding down the middle button and menu button at the same time for about twenty seconds or until the Apple logo appears. That reboots the ipod. It won't hurt anything and it should let you at least connect to iTunes to update the firmware, which might have a fix to make the problem go away forever.

Thats a lot easier than contacting Apple IMO.

Edit: if you really want to contact them after trying that, they do have a 1 year warranty on the product, so if its an internal malfunction, they should replace it, or at least fix it, so give them a call.

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Territhemayor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can I contact them? I don't have time to go to some stupid genius bar thing and I can't call them becuase I'm not like within the 90 days of ownership. Maybe I am, but I really dont think so.

To be honest, i have no idea what the warranty length is on an iPod, although i would have thought it would be more than 90 days. If you call their customer service number (i assume its on the website somewhere) they will be able to give you definite answers.

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
before you contact them, try disconnecting the ipod from your computer, holding down the middle button and menu button at the same time for about twenty seconds or until the Apple logo appears. That reboots the ipod. It won't hurt anything and it should let you at least connect to iTunes to update the firmware, which might have a fix to make the problem go away forever.

Thats a lot easier than contacting Apple IMO.

Edit: if you really want to contact them after trying that, they do have a 1 year warranty on the product, so if its an internal malfunction, they should replace it, or at least fix it, so give them a call.

I've done this hundreds of times
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm gunna call them, but the websites says I can't becuase I'm past the 90 day thing.
I'm calling them now so we'll see what happends...

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

1. How long is my iPod covered by Apple's warranty?
Your iPod is covered for one year by Apple's Limited Warranty for iPod. Warranty service for eligible repairs is available at no charge for twelve months from the date of original retail purchase (”date of purchase”). A $29.95 shipping and handling fee will apply to all warranty repairs performed 180 days after date of purchase. If you have purchased an AppleCare Protection Plan for iPod ("APP for iPod"), there will be no shipping and handling fee.

2. How can I tell if my iPod is in-warranty?

All iPods are covered by Apple's Limited Warranty for iPod for one year from the date of purchase. To determine your warranty coverage enter the serial number of your iPod in the "About Your Support Coverage" section on the Apple Support site. Apple may need to examine your proof of purchase document to verify your iPod's warranty status.

Enter Serial Number Here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Feb 10, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #8 of 13
apologies, standard procedure to check the most obvious thing, especially with electronics (at Circuit City, if people have trouble with wireless internet, 9 times out of 10 its because they switched the wireless adapter off).

Anyway, iPods carry a 1 year warranty, so you should be able to contact them to see what to do. Its typically the retailer who limits the time after sale you can return or exchange an item. Of course, I could be wrong again...

Jan 27, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 13
After 3 years of not being able to sync my ipod classic, I finally fixed it and have to share it with someone!!!!!! Everytime I would sync my ipod, it would freeze at around halfway through. My whole computer would crash and the only way to resolve it, would be to unplug my ipod and everything would work as if nothing happened but my ipod would be empty. This seriously has gone on for 3 years. Right what I did:-
In advanced in itunes, select the 'copy files to media folder' option. Once all your music is stored in there, delete EVERYTHING else in the itunes folder EXCEPT for your media folder!! Completely uninstall itunes, then install itunes version 9.0 or earlier. Once it's installed, go to add folder, and select all the music from the media folder (it may take a while). I also set my ipod to manually manage. AND VOILA! I was able to sync it completely first time! I hope this works for someone (I typed this in a bit of a frenzy so I hope it makes sense), let me know how you get on and good luck!

Jun 27, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #11 of 13
dude guy above me korn guy ^^^^^ i thank him so ****in much i tried to fix it for hours. legit hours. like six. then finnally i try this and it ****in works i cant belive it haha! thanks man like a ****in lot

Feb 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 13
I'm not tech savy but your cure sounds just like I need but I have a problem. Where does one find "advanced itunes " in order to start this cure. I've looked all over the place but can't seem to locate it.

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 13
Thank you so much!!  I have been having this problem for weeks and I couldn't get it to sync, even after trying so many other suggestions.  Finally, it worked!  I didn't have to uninstall and install iTunes 9, though.  I am on 10.7 and it still worked.  I simply moved all of my music to the Media folder after checking the box to copy tunes to the media folder when they are added.  Then, I deleted every song from iTunes.  Scary, but I know they are all still in the media folder.  So, then, I went back and re-added them all to iTunes.  Finally, I restored my ipod to the factory settings (for about the 10th time) and when it came up I chose to Sync Selected Playlists, Artists, or Albums.  Then, I checked all the boxes in the Artists, except for the ones where I had been seeing iTunes freeze up...about 4 different songs (although I had seen it freeze before on many random ones, I only unchecked ones that came up frequently as Unable to copy errors).  It started syncing and I just about cried with joy.  Now I have all my songs, except those 4...but, I can live with that!  I would have never thought of this, so I really appreciate you taking the time to post it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back