iPod Classic clickwheel responsiveness?
Feb 11, 2008 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

burkerg

New Head-Fier
Hi, guys! I lurk on these forums quite a bit and always find them tremendously informative. After much reading in various posts here, I bought a 160GB iPod Classic. I love the new UI, but despite various FW updates, it still seems slow to me. I know this is normal for the units, but I'm also experiencing a strange delay from the clickwheel that doesn't seem to match any descriptions of lag issues I've read. It seems to take the clickwheel a good second or more to recognize that my finger is moving around it. Also, it tends to stop responding intermittently when scrolling through my library. It just seems to have difficulty picking up input. Do you guys think this is normal, or is this outside of what you've experienced with the Classic? Thanks so much for all the past help and for any advice on this issue. Later!
Rob

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 18
yeah, few guys left reviews at amazon.com complaining about the sluggish clickwheel. I think it is what it is.

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 18
Used my friend's Classic today for about an hour, I found the scrollwheel to be very unresponsive. For reference, my previous player was the Meizu M6, and I found its sensitivity to be quite adequate.

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #4 of 18
Are you sure you're using the most current firmware? 1.1 has been awesome so far, and 1.1.1 was just released, which I'm updating to now.

The first few versions were unbelievably sluggish, but the newer ones are decent, if not as good as my older 5th generation iPod.

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 18
I find mine perfectly responsive. Granted, ever once in a while it will jump, but it hardly noticeable. Its not like you struggle with it.

Feb 12, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 18
After 1.1.1 it's been decent, still not as good as my 5th gen was but I think part of that is the fact the aluminum that the iPod is now made of isn't as responsive as the plastic that the 5th gens were made out of. For me the only thing that I don't like is when I load an artist it'll be a couple of seconds before I can select an album because it doesn't load the album art instantly. 1.1.1 also improved Cover Flow but it's still pretty useless since you can't quick scroll (Going from letter to letter)

The problems you're describing I had before I updated. Again, I think the problem is largely with the metal casing and not with the firmware, Apple can only do so much to correct that problem now with updates.

Feb 12, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #10 of 18
Well, I'm really enjoying the Classic, and I love that I'm able to carry almost half of my library in my pocket. I guess I should just cross my fingers in hopes of more FW updates to make the thing more responsive, eh? How many more updates would you guys predict we'll see in the life-cycle of this model? What's the average for a HDD based iPod? Thanks for all the help, guys! I'm growing to love this forum. Everyone seems so kind and respectful. It's a nice change of pace from other online communities.
Rob

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #11 of 18
In terms of clickwheel, no difference between my Classic 160 and my 4th gen 60 gig.

You'll love the battery on the Classic -- it lasts and lasts. Every couple of weeks I charge it, even though it's never come close to running out of juice.

Feb 12, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hatmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll love the battery on the Classic -- it lasts and lasts. Every couple of weeks I charge it, even though it's never come close to running out of juice.

How much do you use your classic? I have to re-charge mine every 3-4 days because it is on the red.

Feb 12, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #13 of 18
I use the Classic for music a total of 2-hours-plus a day, during morning and evening commutes.
The battery is phenomenal.

Feb 12, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 18
I believe the hesitation you experience from the time you select an artist until the albums are displayed and can be selected is due to disk drive lag. I have the same situation on my 160gb classic, which has about 140gb on it. Many things are slower than my nano due to the disk drive and massive number of songs loaded. However, having my entire library with me is a big plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back