Ipod Classic + [???] + Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 600ohm
Mar 4, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #6 of 13
I don't agree that you need to go the route of a DAC/ Amp combo. There are a bunch of good amps out there between $200 and the $650 you would shell out for the HP-P1. I don't think sonically the HP-P1 is for everyone. It is more important to find an amp that will meet sour sonic expectations.

If you are looking for something that will give you more emphasis on the mids try the TTVJ Slim or the ALO Continental V1. Both less expensive and can adequately drive your headphones. If you are looking for something that has a little more emphasis on the bass try an RSA. Some of iBasso's stuff is even getting to a higher level of build quality and they seem to put something new out every other week. They also have the interchangeable opamp which is cool if you like to tinker.

The Fostex is a very good amp, but also cold somewhat digital sounding. It does not meet everyone's tastes, like mine. They tried to make it more amenable by adding to filters, but they are filtering the sound and you lose a bit of clarity. The added clarity is one of the advantages of the Fostex so filtering the sound does kind of nullify the gains.

So be careful. Consider your listening habits now. Do you carry your iPod in your pocket while listening to music? If you do, you need something more portable. The Fostex will not meet that need. There are many things to consider and many good solutions to your question. You will be limited a little more than others by the power hungry headphones.  But there are multiple answers.

Mar 4, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 13
Right.  I've given up on the idea of a portable/battery amp for the iPod.  The main reason is that I like simply slipping it into my pocket, and not being aware that it's there.

Mar 4, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #8 of 13
You might want to try an iBasso P4. Driving 600 Ohm cans with a portable is quite a tall order, but if any portable stands a chance, it is the P4.

You may need to do some experimenting with opamps and buffers, though! You will also need a high quality LOD - the Qables Performance series works well, in my experience.

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #9 of 13
I am now on the lookout for a desktop, A/C powered amp.  I auditioned the Firestone Cute Cube a couple of days ago, and it was the most impressive among the few options I was given to test, including larger and more $$ rigs, driving the DT880 600Ohm.  I'm looking for the Class-A Firestone Cute Beyond, but no one seems to carry it.  A Matrix M-Stage would do also, but that's all for another channel.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #10 of 13
A 600 Ohm can will work particularly well with an OTL tube amp. The two classsic recommendations here are the Little Dot Mk. III and the Darkvoice 336SE.

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #11 of 13
The iBasso PB2 will drive these DT880 well and if need AMPs for desktop use then Asgard are recommended and iBasso D7 is quality DAC/AMPs combo for desktop use.

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 13
Mauricio: considered the Objective2 (aka O2)?
<$100 if you're handy with a soldering iron, ~$144 if you buy it assembled from JDSLabs.

Edit: forgot to add that it's supposedly powerful and neutral, which seems to be in line with your preferences when it comes to audio gear, no?

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #13 of 13
600-ohm Beyer and a portable amp?
Good luck, you'll need.
Or better yet, get a used T50p and you can get that cool Beyer sound on the go without the need to worry about portable amps.  T50p's teble and upper mids will remind you of your DT880.  =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back