Ipod Classic backup
Jan 25, 2009 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Shad3925

100+ Head-Fier
I recently had to transfer the contents of Itunes from my laptop as the 'C' drive was full, the intention was to transfer it to another drive and then re-partition and enlarge the 'C' drive and then transfer back.
I managed to transfer the music back to the Itunes library but the Ipod failed to recognise it and I could not synch the music back to the Ipod .
I have now input 70GB of music( Apple lossless) onto the Ipod classic and would like to know methods of backing up the music to an external hard drive in the event of my laptop failing and then being able to transfer back after re-installing windows on the laptop

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 13
I just transfer my music folder over to the second hard drive.

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 13
Having done some more research, it would appear that what I need is software that will transfer the contents of my Ipod (70Gb) back to Itunes, you cannot use any method of transfer.
Software I have found that may do the job: Yamipod, Music Rescue 4, Songbird & Ipod Music Liberator.
Any other suggestions welcome

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used iDump many times and its worked without fail. Simple interface and gets the job done. Hope this helps.

Many thanks, in the event of my having to reinstall windows on my laptop wouldl Idump transfer all the music files from my Ipod to the now empty Itunes

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #7 of 13
You should try Sharepod, backing up your ipod will be a piece of cake.

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used iDump many times and its worked without fail. Simple interface and gets the job done. Hope this helps.

+1

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:54 AM Post #9 of 13
When using IDump how do you prevent the Ipod starting to synch when it is connected which will result in the Ipod being wiped clean if Itunes is empty

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shad3925 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When using IDump how do you prevent the Ipod starting to synch when it is connected which will result in the Ipod being wiped clean if Itunes is empty

Go into iTunes (without the iPod connected) and go to 'Edit Preferences' then to 'Devices' and tick the box for 'Disable automatic synching for iPhone and iPods'. That should work.

Jan 27, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 13
Good looking out on the idump tip. I just ran it to restore some 4.5 gig of custom mixes back from my cf mod mini that mysteriously went on a walkabout. Fairly painless, thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back