ipod classic 80 gig vs ipod touch 8/16gb
Nov 30, 2007 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

quiksliver

100+ Head-Fier
my old zen is still alive and kicking but I am getting a decent deal on either the classic or touch, but don't know which one to pick, heres what I see

ipod classic:
pros: simple, easy to use, 80 gigs of storage, fairly compact
cons: hard drives are fragile, break easily, screen not ideal for movies, no wifi, no extra uber features

ipod touch:
pros- wifi, great for school and messing around, big 3.5 inch screen, tons of extra apps, doubles as a PDA
cons- fragile, expensive for the amount of storage etc

also, I want to stick to these two players, please don't suggest creatives, cowons etc, i want to stick to these ones

btw I use my current player mostly in school, and sometimes at home, but mostly on bus rides and such and in class

thanks

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 15
If your primary concern is music, stick with the iPod classic. If you're looking for a toy that does other things, but nothing extremely well, get the touch. That's the most elementary I can make the decision.

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #3 of 15
If you're happy enough with the storage capacity of the Touch (8/16GB) the I'd go with the touch!

Much more features and I think better value for the money. It's a very good design and it can do alot, and pretty good too! The Classic is better value in terms of storage, but to me it's just another ipod/mp3 player. The Touch is a revolutunary product.

So in my opinion, it's totally dependant of the storage.

greetz

Nov 30, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 15
well if I get the ipod touch, i WILL jailbreak and add all the apps i can, to make it into a pda type device, and for school that would be ideal, keeping all my appointments intact etc, and I WILL have videos on it, but TBH I probably won't spend a hell of a lot of time watching them, and will get something to do video out

I already have a 20 gig creative zen touch, and it is really bulky and brick-like, I was looking for the ipod touch because it is much smaller and more compact etc

@ricthaman

yeah I have about 25 gigs of music but I only listen to 5-10 different albums MAX per day and I even made a playlist of all my "essential" albums and it came out to about 5-6 gigs, so the touch capacity isn't crippling for me

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 15
Sound quality is better on the touch from what I've heard with my own ears. If you don't mind swapping your music on and off, and if sound quality is primary, choose the touch.

I'll be getting an iPhone when they go to 16GB.

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #7 of 15
the touch has been the player that has impressed me for sq most in a long while. that is coming from a line as long as my arm including
shuffle 1g
ipod 4g
ipod 5.5 g
ipod nano 1g
cowon d2
meizu m6
iriver clix
md players (name anything - i've owned or used it)

the touch is excellent - controlled and serious. i think all ipods take a serious stance to music reproduction - nothing frilly but the touch has very detailed and huge bass that is satisfying. the mids are only somewhat recessed or just not glorified - a wonderful product that reproduces music well and does just about everything else.

i have the 16gb version

Dec 9, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 15
I listened to the Touch and the 160GB Classic, and I found the Classic to have a singnificantly higher volume level, and to my ears, the sound was more tinny and thin. The Touch had a more body to the sound and less bright.

I was using Over the Ear, Closed Cans.

Dec 9, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the touch has been the player that has impressed me for sq most in a long while. that is coming from a line as long as my arm including
shuffle 1g
ipod 4g
ipod 5.5 g
ipod nano 1g
cowon d2
meizu m6
iriver clix
md players (name anything - i've owned or used it)

the touch is excellent - controlled and serious. i think all ipods take a serious stance to music reproduction - nothing frilly but the touch has very detailed and huge bass that is satisfying. the mids are only somewhat recessed or just not glorified - a wonderful product that reproduces music well and does just about everything else.

i have the 16gb version

Very well said! I'm really enjoying my new touch, especially the dynamic and accurate SQ. Only one gripe, which IMO should be considered by most prospective buyers - the inability to work basic controls blindly. If the touch is on your belt it's very difficult to play/pause, adjust volume, etc., by feel (without looking at it). I'm working on solutions to this problem now..

Dec 9, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 15
There are some e-bay vendors who offer the IPOD Dock/Remote for the IPOD Touch if you do a search.

I haven't personally purchased one of these, but I am thinking about it. For $15, you can add a remote to an IPOD Touch.

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #11 of 15
Going through the same thought process. The 160 classic is what I'll probably get this year --- a mature (6th generation), well made device that holds a lot of everything.

The touch is revolutionary but immature and sure to be followed by a better model next year --- larger drive, better screen, etc. I'll buy that one next year, not the one that's out now. (It's too bad about the 1st gen touch --- it could have been a great music/VIDEO player if it had more storage, a better battery, and a better screen.) On a personal note, the fingerprints bother me --- ruins the cool factor, too. Sound quality --- the 5.5 was good enough for me and I've heard mixed reviews regarding the SQ of the touch.

Good luck.

Dec 13, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 15
Given what you posted (OP) I would wait a year for a bigger iPod touch.

Actually, what you want is a Zune 80 GB. I know you said not to suggest others, but I couldn't help myself. I wanted a player somewhere in the middle of a classic 80 and a touch....that is a Zune 80. Screen almost as big as the Touch, has wifi, but 80GB storage and $250 cost.

I think I have enough pro Zune 80 comments to last a while
smily_headphones1.gif

The iPod touch is great, but silence57 has comments along my feelings. Basically I think even at 16GB, which is going cost $$$ it is just too small, esp with the higher rez for video. You just can't hold that much music and video on there.

I am not the type that is a "whole collection" person...but I have my music at 320k and even 320X240 video at 1.2-1.5 Mbit/s

Dec 14, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #14 of 15
I don't know about the touch but I haven't been impressed with the iphone and prefer my 160gb classic because I can drag and drop single songs or albums without having to set up playlists in itunes and can even just use foobar etc. instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back