ipod classic 7th gen msata mod possible?
Oct 25, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:
ImageShack blocked the image and it was just showing that generic picture with a frog.

I had to do something different in order to see that:

Another thread was reporting success after manually formatting mSATA drive inside a laptop and booting off USB flash drive with Linux.

If yours were still not formatted yet, insert that mSATA into your computer and FAT32 option should be required for formatting. An adapter is required to do so if there were no mSATA slots available.

You could tell us the brand / model of your computer and we will figure out what adapter is right if that were necessary.

In the other thread, I think he said that he tried formatting as FAT32 a few times, with no success.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #21 of 22
I have spend few hours reading this forum. I also created a new account to say HI and thank you for all the info here.

Could someone please confirm if its possible to install MSATA 480GB SSD into iPod Classic 7GEN which originally has 160GB HDD??

Which parts do I have to buy to upgrade my iPod and are there any cons to that setup??

Thank You

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #22 of 22
  I have spend few hours reading this forum. I also created a new account to say HI and thank you for all the info here.

Could someone please confirm if its possible to install MSATA 480GB SSD into iPod Classic 7GEN which originally has 160GB HDD??

Which parts do I have to buy to upgrade my iPod and are there any cons to that setup??

Thank You

According to every report I've read throughout these forums, others I've found through Google, and on Amazon reviews, no. :frowning2: It actually seems it is confirmed that the 7th gen can not function with an mSATA SSD. It made me pretty sad to learn that, but it may be for the best. Even on the 5G and 5.5G, the iPod OS doesn't play nicely with the SSD, resulting in overheating and heavy battery drain. Using Rockbox with BeyondWind's patch seems to be the only way to get good battery life and no overheating. Without the iPod OS usable, I see little advantage of the 7G over the 5.5G.

According to one guy who replied to me on his Amazon review earlier today, this guy Tarkan was able to build an adapter that got an SSD working in a 7th gen, but he said the guy only has his early prototype and is not ready to produce more or sell them, so don't bother bugging him... lol. I guess it's nice to know there's hope for the future, but who knows when or even if it'll happen.

So yeah, from what I know, if you wanna upgrade a 7th Gen, only thing stable right now is the 240GB Toshiba drive with one of the thick backplates. otherwise, you'll wanna sell that 7G, buy a 5.5G and follow the guide BeyondWind has on his site that I linked to. This decision is the same predicament I'm in currently, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back