iPod Classic 7G: Best amp/DAC
Dec 13, 2016 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

showngo2000

New Head-Fier
Brand new newbie here! I got an iPod Classic 160GB 7th Generation given to me last week! I'm looking for a great portable amp to pair with it. I've tried to do my due diligence and search the forums, but everything that's coming up is from several years ago. There's been a lot of new products & products discontinued since then. I've been looking through Fiio's stuff, mainly the E12 and A5.

I'll be using the iPod mainly with Meze 99 Classics, but also have 1964ears V8's, and AthM50x's.

Also...Anyone know the highest audio quality the iPod will play once rockbox'd?

Thanks!

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #2 of 8
With a FiiO amp, I think you won't be getting much more out of those three headphones/IEM.

I'm using iPod Classic 80GB 6th Gen, which incidentally does not fully support rockbox, so I havn't tried that out yet.
I have it paired with a FiiO E17, which I bought for the simple but quite effective EQ (because the iPod EQ presets are awful) and the ability to amp some vintage headphones occasionally.
But what I found is that some headphones actually sound better directly out of the iPod headphone socket. 

The E17 is not the most agile amplifier and can sound a tad 'dull' with some headphones.
I've never heard it, but I expect the E12 being a bit more powerful should perform better than the E17 overall, but it is lacking in features.

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 8
From personal experience i think the Fiio A3 amp paired with the IPod classic is a good combo. The bass boost switch  on the A3 is nice and suttle whilst the gain switch adds a good kick to the iPod. The form factor pairs well . Maybe invest in a decent interconnect cable.. the Fiio L17 is great ie very well built. Amazon has them on discount. 

Dec 17, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 8
Just ordered a Fiio A3. I'll try to come back and give some impressions later.

What's the highest quality that the iPod can play if it's Rockbox'd? I'm assuming it's 48k.@

@showngo2000 sorry can't help you re Rockbox....maybe just plug in your Fiio A3 and listen for yourself. I download all my cd's tp my classic and it sounds great. One caviate ...a decent set of headphones is imperative to garner the best out of the combo.

Jan 5, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #8 of 8
If you want a reasonably priced dac amp that works perfectly with an iPod Classic try the Teac HA P50. A lovely quality product with an organic and analogue sound

Be careful though warm headphones can sound a bit dull. Bright headphones sound great. Wouldn't mind another one myself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back