iPod Classic 6G 80GB vs. iPod Classic 6.5G - 120GB - Which One To Get?
Sep 17, 2008 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

berniebennybernard

100+ Head-Fier
iPod Classic 6G - 80GB vs. iPod Classic 6.5G - 120GB

First off, price. I can locally grab the 6G - 80GB for about $180, but if I were to walk into the Apple Store and grab the new 6.5G, it'd cost about $135 more.

Next off, audio. I read that the new 6.5G uses a new Cirrus Logic chip, and there is a noticeable difference with a cleaner sound and less hiss.

Third, video. Apparently it's about the same with slightly sharper graphics. Not a big deal since videos are the least of my worries and I don't exactly use the feature on my portables.

Last, battery life. The 80GB is said to get about 30h with it topping off with 36h with a benchmark from iLounge, and the 120GB said to get about 36h with once again about an extra 6h.

The new Genius feature and support for voice recording/remote is not even the slightly appealing since I have no use for those functions.

I can honestly go with either, but does the extra price tag of $135 warrant a cleaner sounding iPod with 1/2 more capacity of the other?

I'm hoping to hear from people who may own both to input their thoughts into this forum as I'm sure many other people are wondering the same thing.

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 16
people that own both the new 6.5g ipod as well as the 6g ipod, would be pretty hard to find.. as the new ipods just came out last week. It's not even out at my local best buy yet. Also it's not even practical since people who craved more space probably (i'm not certain) would of picked the 160 gig version.

Now this "is" an audiophile forum so there is most likely people that want to jump on this wagon because of the new chipset but maybe are just as satisfied with their imod.

Let's just cut to the point. You apparently listed the benefits of getting the "new" gen ipod are stuck on the fact that you would have to pay 135 dollars more. As to which you want confirmation if this is worth the money.

I can only give my opinion since i haven't heard the new ipod. I'll just say, right now i wouldn't get the new "classic". The New firmware will be on the old classic as well so its the same thing you are buying with more space and supposedly improved chip set. Oh better battery life too...

Now this is just my educated opinion. I'll shut up when there are more reviews, more opinionated replies and time.

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iPod Classic 6G - 80GB vs. iPod Classic 6.5G - 120GB

First off, price. I can locally grab the 6G - 80GB for about $180, but if I were to walk into the Apple Store and grab the new 6.5G, it'd cost about $135 more.

New Classic - $250 plus tax or whatever
Old Classic - $180

So why the price difference of $135?

I ordered a new Classic (not here yet), but sold my old Classic awhile back and couldn't possibly be counted on for a reliable comparison.

For some reason I feel like having a Coke right now...

Sep 17, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomikans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can only give my opinion since i haven't heard the new ipod. I'll just say, right now i wouldn't get the new "classic". The New firmware will be on the old classic as well so its the same thing you are buying with more space and supposedly improved chip set. Oh better battery life too..

Hmm... I wasn't aware of that. Is there a confirmed report or anything about the new firmware?

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmaxmedia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New Classic - $250 plus tax or whatever
Old Classic - $180

So why the price difference of $135?

I ordered a new Classic (not here yet), but sold my old Classic awhile back and couldn't possibly be counted on for a reliable comparison.

For some reason I feel like having a Coke right now...

I live in Canada, so the Classic is $279. Add in 13% in taxes gives you roughly about $315.

Did you sell your old Classic for a new one? If so, what made you decide to do that?

Sep 17, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 16
I inevitably sell my existing iPod right around August, before the new ones come out. Since they're in good condition and often still have AppleCare warranty, I get good resale price on EBay.

I know the new ones will have improvements and more capacity. So even if I don't like the new ones for whatever reason, I can go buy an older one for cheap.

I wasn't dissatisfied with my old Classic, in other words. I do my listening on a budget (Koss KSC75), so can't provide the best feedback on sound quality. I perceived the original Classic as being 'crisp' without being harsh, and prefer it to the 5G/5.5G. I expect the new Classic to be about the same, but will post back after I get it.

Sep 18, 2008 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 16
i don't really think Apple would release a new firmware for the old classic adding the genius feature. and i am pretty sure about that.

Sep 18, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #8 of 16
The only thing thats changed with the classic is they've stopped production of the 160GB one and popped a 120GB drive in the 80GB one. Everything else is the same. SQ is identical to old one.

I've tried the new 120GB in the Apple store (and an old 160GB still on demo) and they sound the same through my Shure SE530's while the new Touch sounds noticeably better.

IMO the 2nd gen Touch is now the best sounding iPod.

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 16
FWIW, some of the peeps at iLounge have made the assertion that the 6g Classic has firmware problems Apple never fixed. If it were me in the market for a new iPod, I might sit back and let the dust settle, as the 6.5 may have addressed the old Classic issues.

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valens7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just FYI, both the 6.5G and the 6G use the same Cirrus Logic chipset. It's not unique to the 6.5G.

Well I have found on internet pictures of both Classics motherboards.
6G 80Gb Classic motherboard and the 6.5G 120Gb Classic.
The only difference I could see is in the upper left corner, where the 6.5G Classic does have 2 diodes? and one IC? more than 6G Classic. Are they on the audio line?

Sep 18, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #11 of 16
Why don't you go to the Apple Store and look at the refirbished iPods. You can pick up a 160 gig model for less and still get a full warranty. That's how I bought mine and it's worked perfectly.

More to the point, you're also getting an additional 80 gigs of memory - which stores a boatload of extra music.

Sep 19, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #12 of 16
Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to imply that they are exactly the same in every respect. There very well may some internal differences I'm not aware of. I'd hardly describe myself as an expert on an iPod's internals. I was only pointing out to the OP that they both use the same audio chip by Cirrus Logic, and should (in all likelihood) sound the exact same. All of the reviews I've read of both units seem to suggest as much as well.

Sep 21, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #13 of 16
Refurb 160 dude, so worth it!

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #14 of 16
Yeah, I've been thinking about it and I think I'm going to go with the refurbished 160GB. I just read that there was a noticeable difference SQ-wise with the newer 120GB Classic over the 80/160GB, but I guess it was wrong.

Thanks

Sep 21, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #15 of 16
Does anyone know if the new 6.5G iPod has a good working clickwheel again? Though the clickwheel on the 5th Gen wasn't that great on the 6th Gen it was really terrible and it skipped and was just not easy to handle, especially with a silicone case around it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back