Ipod classic 160 vs. Ipod classic 120 in sq
Dec 3, 2008 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Jalo

Headphoneus Supremus
Can someone please share some insight into the sq difference btw the two classics? Also if you know the technical differences, do they have the same DAC? etc.

Please compare the SQ through LOD only as I don't use the HP out at all. Thanks.

Dec 3, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 7
I'm pretty sure that the only difference betwen those is the HDD. No difference at all in SQ since they share the same DAC and other components.

The biggest difference in SQ is between the iPod 6th gen and the older versions, like the 5.5gen, since they don't share the same DAC.

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 7
I was quite sure there was some improvement in sound when the 120 was announced. If they are the same, then the 160 will be better because of the larger HDD. But can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

Dec 3, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was quite sure there was some improvement in sound when the 120 was announced. If they are the same, then the 160 will be better because of the larger HDD. But can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

There was improvement in sound for the new iPods that were announced, that is it.

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was improvement in sound for the new iPods that were announced, that is it.

But what was the improvement, was it the speaker? the hp out, the AMP, or the DAC? Was some of the hesitating problems of the 160 fixed?

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 7
I have a 160GB that I bought when the 120GB came out. It replaced a 80GB 5.5G. I've noticed 2 differences between the 5.5G and the 160GB
  • The click wheel is a little different. It took a few days to get used to it. At first I thought it was the hesitation that everyone talks about, but it's not. The wheel is just pickier. Your thumb just needs to be in the middle. If you stray to the outside or inside edge, it stop working. Other than this, I've not noticed anything that I'd call hesitation. It still goes from A-Z in my 2000 albums pretty quick. It just doesn't always scroll by letter which makes it a pain to stop somewhere in the middle.
  • If I use the line out while using external power with the 160GB, the line out picks up interference when the disk spins. This is a PITA because I basically can't use a line out and charge at the same time.

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #7 of 7
I think the "new iPods" include the new Nano and new Touch. The Classic is the same, except for the HDD and the Genius Playlist feature. I just got a 160gb Classic while they are still available, and I think it's a better deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back