iPod charger
Jan 18, 2009 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

daveDerek

Headphoneus Supremus
if you need a plug in charger for your iPod, inexpensively, search for the following on eBay:

WALL HOME CHARGER For IPOD VIDEO/NANO/CLASSIC/TOUCH NEW
Seller: accstation

this thing was $5 shipped and seems to work quite nicely. it supposedly works with most iPods (he lists which ones it does/doesn't work with).
usual disclaimer - i've no affiliation with the seller. just thought i'd share this find with you guys as it might come in quite handy for folks.

Jan 18, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #2 of 20
It doesn't say anything about the 5.5 generation?
confused_face(1).gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

iPod Video 60GB, 30GB, 80GB, U2 Special Edition

60GB is 5.0
80GB is 5.5

30GB depends on the hardware.

Not sure about the U2 Spec. Ed.

but actually, if it works for all those, chances are it works for 5.5.

Not that I have any experience whatsoever with that seller or his product, i'm just reluctant to use inexpensive chargers in general.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Fidelity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that I have any experience whatsoever with that seller or his product, i'm just reluctant to use inexpensive chargers in general.

Lo Fi, what's your qualm about using an inexpensive charger? fwiw, this one is claimed to have an "Intelligent IC chip inside recognizes a fully charged battery and automatically switches to a saver mode to prevent overcharging and short circuit.".

Jan 19, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveDerek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fwiw, this one is claimed to have an "Intelligent IC chip inside recognizes a fully charged battery and automatically switches to a saver mode to prevent overcharging and short circuit.".

They can say whatever they want. It's about build and quality control. I'd rather buy a charger from a well-known 3rd party like belkin or whatnot that are already cheaper than Apple's official charger. I don't want risking my place burning down/my iPod explodes just to save $10 or so.

Jan 19, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 20
Nice deal!
smile.gif

I still have the firewire charger that came with the iPod mini some years back, or else I would have scored one.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Lo Fi, what's your qualm about using an inexpensive charger? fwiw, this one is claimed to have an "Intelligent IC chip inside recognizes a fully charged battery and automatically switches to a saver mode to prevent overcharging and short circuit.".

Quote:

They can say whatever they want. It's about build and quality control. I'd rather buy a charger from a well-known 3rd party like belkin or whatnot that are already cheaper than Apple's official charger. I don't want risking my place burning down/my iPod explodes just to save $10 or so.

Ditto.

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have/had one. The ipod end fell apart.
The claimed IC chip inside is BS. I'll smash mine to prove it.

since you're volunteering i'd love to hear whether your claim or theirs is correct wrt the chip. tia
smile.gif
popcorn.gif

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

since you're volunteering i'd love to hear whether your claim or theirs is correct wrt the chip. tia
smile.gif
popcorn.gif

Think about it. You can charge a ipod with a USB ipod cable, that definitely has no inline circuitry.

The charging regulator circuitry is in the iPod.

But if you insist, I'll smash it.

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by leveller1642 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if you insist, I'll smash it.

the proof is in the pudding, or rather inside your broken charger. if you're game i'd love to hear what you find upon disassembly (you might might to do this gently, eh? while smashing it may provide some degree of satisfaction, it may also make it harder to observe how it was originally constructed).
popcorn.gif

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #12 of 20
yes the charge circuit is inside the ipod so any 'chip' in the charger is not 'intelligent' at all since even if it does exist it would be redundant and a waste of their money in building it

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pata2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Belkin probably sources their charger from China too. for all we know it may even be the same darn thing. of course i don't want to ruin my ipod, let alone my home but why think that this device is likely to do that?

Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes the charge circuit is inside the ipod so any 'chip' in the charger is not 'intelligent' at all since even if it does exist it would be redundant and a waste of their money in building it

so does the ipod itself 'recognizes a fully charged battery and automatically switches to a saver mode to prevent overcharging and short circuit.'?

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #14 of 20
I rather a pre-owned original or a spankin' new from Belkin or Griffin.

Jan 28, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Power

The USB specification provides a 5 V supply on a single wire from which connected USB devices may draw power. The specification provides for no more than 5.25 V and no less than 4.75 V (5 V±5%) between the positive and negative bus power lines.[19]

A unit load is defined as 100mA in USB 2.0, and was raised to 150mA in USB 3.0. A maximum of 5 unit loads can be drawn from a port in USB 2.0, and was raised to 6 in USB 3.0. There are two types of devices: low-power and high-power. Low-power devices draw at most 1 unit load, with minimum operating voltage of 4.4V in USB 2.0, and 4V in USB 3.0. High-power devices draw the maximum number of unit loads supported by the standard. All devices default as low-power but the device's software may request high-power as long as the power is available on the providing bus.[20]

A bus-powered hub is initialized at 1 unit load and transitions to maximum unit loads after hub configuration is obtained. Any device connected to the hub will draw 1 unit load regardless of the current draw of devices connected to other ports of the hub (i.e 1 device connected on a 4 port hub will only draw 1 unit load despite the fact that all unit loads are being supplied to the hub).[20]

A self-powered hub will supply maximum supported unit loads to any device connected to it. A battery powered hub may supply maximum unit loads to port. In addition, the VBUS will supply 1 unit load upstream for communication if parts of the Hub are powered down. [20]

In Battery Charging Specification, new powering modes are added to the USB specification. A host or hub charger can supply maximum 1.5A when communicating at low-speed or full-speed, maximum 900mA when communicating at hi-speed, no upper current limit when no communication is taking place. Dedicated charger can supply maximum 1.5A of current. A portable device can draw up to 1.8A from a dedicated charger. The dedicated charger shorts the D+ and D- pins together and will not send or receive any information on those lines, allowing for the creation of very simple, high current chargers to be manufactured. The increased current (faster charging) will occur once the host/hub and devices both support the new charging specification.

everything you wanted to know about USB but were afraid to ask can be found at Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back