iPod cases- any recommendations?
Oct 31, 2002 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Ruahrc

100+ Head-Fier
I have the 10GB iPod for windows and I have been using the little bag that comes with the iPod as a case since I got it. It works well as I usually keep it in the inside pocket of my jacket and the soft bag helps against scratches. The included black case is good but I don't use it because it is bigger than the bag and it does not let you use the iPod while it is in the case. (Well neither does the bag but the size still matters)

I was planning on getting a real case for my iPod, but didn't really know which one. Do you guys have a favorite that you recommend? The Headroom bag looks pretty good except I don't plan on springing for an amp soon so it's far too big for what I am looking for. I was looking at the case that apple has on their website:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...27.8.3.11.13.0

Does anyone have this case- or is there a website where I can find reviews of iPod cases?

Thanks

Ruahrc

Oct 31, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 14
I have the Headroom iPod bag, and while nice and functional, it's a tad large for my taste. It can't be slipped into a pocket. I recently acquired a new product called iSkin which is a silicone rubber case that the iPod slips into. It comes in a wide range of colors. I bought the blue and the white.......I like the white better. I really like the iSkin because it protects the iPod while maintaining it's extreme portability and also does not hide the iPod. Here's the website:
http://www.iskin4ipod.com/iskin4ipod.html
The Apple website has discussion forums on the iPod and there is a huge thread regarding the various cases available.
Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2002 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 14
I also use (and recommend) the iSkin.
Although it wont protect the ipod from dirt and hard drops, it will protect it from scratches.

My other recommendations for ipod cases are the Vaja cases, and the Marware CEO Classic case (both leather).
Again, not the best protection, but top quality and very stylish.

Nov 9, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #6 of 14
Im using the iskin right now... and it's just that, -an ipod skin.

It's very very thin (couple of millimeters thick), so it doesnt add size to the small ipod.
It protects the ipod from scractches and scuff marks, but dont expect the iSkin to protect the ipod against dents and dings.

Nov 9, 2002 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 14
I looked around quite a bit for cases. I almost got one of the iSkin or Groove Jacket models because I wanted something "slim" but I decided that it was more important to me to get something that offered shock protection (and I wanted a removable belt clip that was sturdy enough to trust). I also wanted the face to be protected, but I really dislike cases with clear vinyl covers, since if a piece of dirt gets underneath them, it ends up scratching your iPod up even worse.

I ended up getting the "Super Dooper iPod Case" from Waterfield Designs (http://www.sfbags.com/). I'd seen a few Waterfield products before, and the quality and craftsmanship is some of the best I've seen. And if it matters to you, they're based in San Francisco and their stuff is made by people who make a decent wage.

Since this bag is relatively new, and it's hard to find good pictures, here are a few; this is the 20GB iPod version of the bag; the 5GB & 10GB versions are thinner.

The front. The whole thing is made of padded ballistic nylon, and feels like it. The tab at the bottom is to life up the front panel (shown in the 3rd picture).
1front.jpg

The front and bottom. The white/gray trim is also available in red/black and blue/black.
2frontangle.jpg

A view of the case when open. The inside of the front panel actually holds a pair of earbuds and ID/cash/card (I keep my Etys in there
wink.gif
). As you can see, when the panel is open, you can access all of the controls.

3open.jpg

A side view with the earbud pocket empty.
4sideempty.jpg

A side view with Etys in the pocket.
5sidewithetys.jpg

The side and back; I hate belt clips that stick out when you're not using them. As you can see, the clip is removable and the "stub" doesn't stick out much.
6sideback.jpg

The top of the bag; you can still access all the ports (another pet peeve of mine about some of the iPod bags is that the bag blocks the ports).
7top.jpg

A view of the back. You can see at the bottom that the bag is actually mesh in the middle; this is to allow the iPod to vent so that it doesn't overheat when you're using it as a hard drive (some of the rubber and plastic cases don't let enough heat escape).
8back.jpg

A picture of the bag with the belt clip attached. It uses the new UltraClip that can only be removed at a certain angle (the same one HeadRoom uses on their iPod bag).
9clip.jpg

Hope these helped someone
wink.gif

P.S. In terms of looks, I really like the new iSee from Contour, since it's basically like not having a case at all, but it offers no shock protection whatsoever.

Nov 9, 2002 at 12:42 PM Post #10 of 14
Wow... I've been looking for an alternate case for my iSkin (I only like using it for the gym)... and that Super Dooper case looks very tempting to get.

I might have to reconsider getting that instead of the the CEO Classic or Vaja cases...
confused.gif

Nov 10, 2002 at 4:24 AM Post #12 of 14
FYI, you CAN slip the HeadRoom iPod bag into a pocket if you take the amp out; as my portaMETA is undergoing some mods, I've been using it like that for a while now.

Nov 10, 2002 at 5:58 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

FYI, you CAN slip the HeadRoom iPod bag into a pocket if you take the amp out;...

Eric, I think that "stuff" may be more appropriate than "slip"......the Headroom bag, while functional, doesn't "slip" into any pants that I own. Now maybe if I picked up some cargo pants.................
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back