iPod case to beat all iPod cases
Jan 29, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcarlos
Wow. That would probably survive the holocaust.

I'm confused. An unarmored iPod wouldn't survive the holocaust? Are iPods Jewish?
blink.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet
I'm confused. An unarmored iPod wouldn't survive the holocaust? Are iPods Jewish?
blink.gif

it was a very bad example and comparison on his part.

Jan 29, 2005 at 5:23 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst
I think Apple should make the iPod with body material/color like that "armor" in the first place. I never really liked the white face and scratch magnet chrome back.

i totally agree.. enough of the white already.. or at least offer a range of white, silver and black... that would appeal to a much larger market IMO..

Jan 29, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhcarlos
Wow. That would probably survive the holocaust.

i am sorry for being a jackass but, What. for your information many jews including myself take those kind of things very offensive. if you wanted to make a joke, there are smilies and other ways to indicate that its a harmless joke.
mad.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan
i totally agree.. enough of the white already...

Hahaha, I see that your portable rig is packing a white ipod case and white EX71s... tired of the white, are we?
icon10.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
i am sorry for being a jackass but, What. for your information many jews including myself take those kind of things very offensive. if you wanted to make a joke, there are smilies and other ways to indicate that its a harmless joke.
mad.gif

Well, the word "holocaust" is not always in reference to the genocidal acts commited against the Jewish people during World War II. Perhaps he referred to the dictionary definition of the word:

hol·o·caust Audio pronunciation of "holocaust" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hl-kôst, hl-)
n.

1. Great destruction resulting in the extensive loss of life, especially by fire.

2. Holocaust The genocide of European Jews and others by the Nazis during World War II: “Israel emerged from the Holocaust and is defined in relation to that catastrophe” (Emanuel Litvinoff).
B. A massive slaughter: “an important document in the so-far sketchy annals of the Cambodian holocaust” (Rod Nordland).

3. A sacrificial offering that is consumed entirely by flames.

Also, usage panel denotes that:

"Usage Note: Holocaust has a secure place in the language when it refers to the massive destruction of humans by other humans. Ninety-nine percent of the Usage Panel accepts the use of holocaust in the phrase nuclear holocaust."

The historical reference to the slaughter of millions of Jews during World War II is not the first thing that comes to everyone's mind; the reference of nuclear war is usually much more prevalent. (According to this information, in any case. Personally, when "the Holocaust" is mentioned, I identify it as the so named historical event.)

Jan 29, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #22 of 40
This is turning into a bigger deal than it actually should be. I'm sure we're all aware of the multiple definitions of "holocaust" but he said "the holocaust," which really implies only one particular thing.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 29, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #23 of 40
Quote:

This is turning into a bigger deal than it actually should be. I'm sure we're all aware of the multiple definitions of "holocaust" but he said "the holocaust," which really implies only one particular thing.
rolleyes.gif

What I am saying is not everyone is aware of the multiple definitions. I could step out on the street and go ask 10 people in downtown Birmingham, and I would bet ten against one that only two people out of those ten would identify it correctly.

It is rather obvious that he did not know the alternate definitions of the word, else he would not have used it in this context. -.-'

Jan 29, 2005 at 5:38 AM Post #24 of 40
even if he didnt talk about WWII, its not the thing to joke with.

PS lets get back on track with the topic

Jan 29, 2005 at 8:27 AM Post #26 of 40
let's let this die right here and discuss head-fi-related material only.

To whomever said they should get rid of the white, you must not have heard about the next generation of ipods (or perhaps you have). They are supposed to be a la mac mini, as opposed to the current white. I personally think this is a step in the right direction. And, you won't have to strap a 700lb silver case on it to make it that color..

Jan 29, 2005 at 10:11 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

blink.gif

I gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he meant to say "the Apocalypse."

Jan 29, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan
i totally agree.. enough of the white already.. or at least offer a range of white, silver and black... that would appeal to a much larger market IMO..

*begin another rediculous argument*
Are you saying african americans would be more likely to buy an iPod if it were black insetad of white???
*uses smilies to indicate it's a harmless joke*
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
280smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
tongue.gif
600smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
rolleyes.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
etysmile.gif
icon10.gif
cool.gif
confused.gif
eggosmile.gif
lambda.gif
blink.gif
redface.gif
plainface.gif
basshead.gif
lambda.gif
rolleyes.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 1:50 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by UserNotFound
*begin another rediculous argument*
Are you saying african americans would be more likely to buy an iPod if it were black insetad of white???
*uses smilies to indicate it's a harmless joke*
biggrin.gif
eek.gif
280smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
tongue.gif
600smile.gif
k1000smile.gif
rolleyes.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
etysmile.gif
icon10.gif
cool.gif
confused.gif
eggosmile.gif
lambda.gif
blink.gif
redface.gif
plainface.gif
basshead.gif
lambda.gif
rolleyes.gif

UserNotFound, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by BuckDiesel
His comment was probably less offensive than having "Team Jew-Fi" in one's signature.

If he's jewish, why can't he put that in his sig? who gets offended if I put "Team Asian-Fi" in mine? it's a sign of identification with others on the site who share something in common along with their mutual appreciation of headphones.

to get back on track, Apple marketing is savvy enough to reach out to its core market - the U2 ipod was not reaching out just to U2 fans, or fans of a black ipod, but rather the image that U2 stands for - hip while still mainstream. Just like in Japan there is a Evangelion iPod - Gainax gives that savvy hip cred to Apple over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back